Review by Erandi Ekanayake -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by Erandi Ekanayake -- Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mixed Blessings" by J.M. Muse.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Racial discrimination is a crucial social matter in America started a long ago and continued to persist till nowadays as well. But thanks to heroes like Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, black people have got human rights to some extent. In the fictional work of Mixed Blessings, J.M.Muse makes an earnest effort to fetch us to an America where those Black heroes never existed and so people of colour are deprived of many privileges.

The novel takes its initiative with Kimberly Solberg, a teenage girl who is born to a Mexican father and a Jewish-American mother. Since she is a mixed-race child, she is being bullied by her schoolmates and sometimes suffers mentally for being born as a biracial. Then the reader is introduced to Michael Kublai Khan, who takes the lead of the plot. He is the minister of The House of Jeremiah, which stands for the rights of black and mixed-race people. In order to put an end to the white supremacy once he creates a ten-year-long plan. Investing millions of dollars he organizes birthing camps, estimating the population of mixed-race communities become the majority by the end of the project. Pastor Tucker Dalton (the leader of the Christian Covenant Church) is the main opponent of Khan and adhering firmly to an attitude of all the non-whites should be forever crushed down, he is going to launch a brutal massacre to kill hundreds of mothers and newly born babies at Khan's birthing camps.

Meanwhile, a black teenage boy named Sidney Dennison was taken into custody for a false accusation and a night later he was found dead in the cell. Reverend Rufus Harper, a friend of Mr.Khan, organizes a protest against the police brutality on the Blacks but the authorities seem to turn a blind eye on them. So they become more organized with acquiring media coverage for the tragic incident as well and goes on struggling to seek justice for Sidney's suspicious death. Simultaneously, Star Mathews-a half black and half Japanese lady participates in a pageant- The Gardena Cherry Blossom Festival. Even though she gets the highest score, the judges decide to nominate another contestant for the first place just because of the fact that Star is not a pure Japanese but a mixed-race woman.

Will Star be able to overcome the injustice of racist judges in the finals? In Sidney's case, will the authorities look into this particular tragic incident and take necessary actions to ensure the right for Blacks to live freely in society? In the event of Dalton's savage attack, will Khan be able to save the innocent lives of newly born babies and mothers at birthing camps?

Thus, in his imaginary work, J.M.Muse points out several occasions in which the non-whites are confronted with injustice. In a time period when racism has become a rare topic for literary creations, the author's courage to bring such a thorny and integral topic into the notion is definitely needed to be praised. There is an occasion in which Mr.Khan extends kindness and empathy towards an enemy soldier who comes to kill him and that incident really touched my heart. But It is quite regrettable to see how Dalton uses his church to spread hatred over the non-whites. He misuses Biblical allusions to prove that the drastic annihilation he is about to launch is a hundred percent correct. On the other hand, it evokes much sarcasm when Dalton seeks God’s blessing for killing innocent people as if he expects God’s blessing to be less in line with skin colour. When analysing this particular viewpoint of Dalton's, what I feel is that the book has got the most applicable title since the term 'Mixed Blessings' seems to have a deeper conception beyond its surface meaning.

Likewise, there are several elements in the book which I truly appreciate. Nevertheless, it is needed to be further discussed to what extent the author has been succeeded in delivering what he has promised.

Firstly, the connection between each storyline seems poor to me. At the beginning, I expected each major character would join together in the latter part of the plot, but at the end, I was disappointed to see that I have read merely some separate narratives. Specially, Star Mathew's story stands more likely as a single storyline. Although it shows another situation in which a biracial confronts with injustice, it is not understandable how she intertwines with the flow of the plot. Further, the development of the character of Kimberly is not strong enough to address the theme. Even though the readers are left to consider Kimberly as one of the main characters neither the hardships she has to face for being a biracial nor her contribution towards the grand scheme of the plot is properly described.

Secondly, the author has employed a number of characters and it is more than seventy. Yet only a few contribute to the story by playing major roles and a considerable number of other minor characters are suddenly introduced at different points in the book but do not have any later appearances. Sometimes several characters are introduced in a way that would confuse the readers. For instance, the character of Hermando is initially met in the first chapter and it is in the thirty-ninth chapter that he appears for the second and last time. So the reader may be needed to go through several chapters back in order to recall the relation of that particular character to the story.

Thirdly, I expected to read about alternative history, since the author has promised to write on an era when Martin Luther King and Malcolm X never existed. But the book has got only the current picture of America regarding racism. This criticism could have been outweighed to some extent if at least the author has covered the topics such as police brutality, identity crisis, white domination etc in more depth, but even the given details on those subjects have not reached to a satisfactory level, either.

Finally, I personally do not agree with Khan's plan because it seems the non-white women have been deprived of their human rights since they are considered just as baby-making machines and have become pawns in the endless struggle of gaining power. So what l believe is that it would be much worthy if the author has used this fiction as an effective way to convey any other timely and reasonable solution for this sensitive matter of racism because what he has already introduced is again discrimination of another race.

As a whole, I can not admit that I enjoyed this book much because of the criticisms I have listed above. Therefore my rating for this is 2 out of 4 stars. It includes descriptions of sexual encounters as well and sometimes they reach to the explicit level. Otherwise, I would have offered it 3 stars. There were a few errors but they were not that much noticeable. So it won't be harmful if I say that the book is well written and professionally edited.

When recommending this book to the readers, I do not think that it is suitable for children and teenagers since the consistency of some profanity and violence. But I recommend this book to any mature adult who is interested in reading about racism in the United States.

Mixed Blessings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Sushan
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: My Island Home by Penelope Ann Smith-Carter Dichiera

Post by Sushan »

An Informative and a critical review. Sounds like not a very pleasing read. Thanks for the insight 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

FABIAN_BATS
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

I just reviewed this book, and I can absolutely relate with your frustrations. Great review!
Fabian

Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:

Sushan wrote:
08 May 2020, 07:47
An Informative and a critical review. Sounds like not a very pleasing read. Thanks for the insight 👍👍
FABIAN_BATS wrote:
08 May 2020, 10:43
I just reviewed this book, and I can absolutely relate with your frustrations. Great review!
Yes. Although the writer's attempt to cover such a timely issue is worthy to be applauded, it is a bit doubtful whether readers would enjoy the book. Thanks for commenting, Sushan and FABIAN. :tiphat:

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Dark Bliss by Shay Mills

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like the author was too ambitious with his numerous characters especially when they were not all tied together at the end of the book. I would have found that frustrating as well. This was a very informative review. Thanks!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It sounds like this book has too much going on, and would benefit from having fewer characters. I appreciate your honest and thorough review.

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Garden Gnome Adventures by Jay Atkinson

Post by Tomah »

I have a really hard time keeping up with too many characters, especially in a disjointed narrative, so I'll probably be skipping this one, though the premise seems interesting. Thanks for the review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: A clock with Feet by Miss Henny

Post by kandscreeley »

That's a lot of characters! I would never be able to keep them all straight. As for the major ones, it's too bad that the author doesn't join them altogether at the end. Thanks, but I think I'll skip this.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:

Prisallen wrote:
11 May 2020, 08:12
It sounds like the author was too ambitious with his numerous characters especially when they were not all tied together at the end of the book. I would have found that frustrating as well. This was a very informative review. Thanks!
Yes. That was a huge problem in enjoying the book. Thanks for commenting, Prisallen.

Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
11 May 2020, 11:58
It sounds like this book has too much going on, and would benefit from having fewer characters. I appreciate your honest and thorough review.
Yes. It would be much better if the writer has employed only the most essential characters. Thanks for your appreciation, Stephanie.

Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:

Tomah wrote:
11 May 2020, 12:25
I have a really hard time keeping up with too many characters, especially in a disjointed narrative, so I'll probably be skipping this one, though the premise seems interesting. Thanks for the review!
Yes. Me too felt as giving up reading the book for several times. Thanks for reading and replying, Tomah.

Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:
11 May 2020, 18:41
That's a lot of characters! I would never be able to keep them all straight. As for the major ones, it's too bad that the author doesn't join them altogether at the end. Thanks, but I think I'll skip this.
Yes. Having no connection between each storyline is the most frustrating fact. Thanks for commenting, kandscreeley.

fadjei
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by fadjei »

It's great to have books that cover important topics like this one, but it seems that the author did not execute it well. I would not be able to keep up with all the characters in the book either. I'll have to skip on this one.
Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:

fadjei wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:13
It's great to have books that cover important topics like this one, but it seems that the author did not execute it well. I would not be able to keep up with all the characters in the book either. I'll have to skip on this one.
Thanks for the review!
That's really understandable because I had the same difficulty. Thank you for reading and replying, fadjei.

DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: A Desperate Turn of Events by M J Clark

Post by DBNJ »

I have watched many movies and read some books about the hardships faced by the non-white community in America especially before the American civil rights moment. This book gives fresh insight in to the same subject and suggest readers to ponders about what if scenario. Your review is detailed and well written!
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”