Review by AntonelaMaria -- The Billionaires’ Handbook

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by AntonelaMaria -- The Billionaires’ Handbook

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Billionaires’ Handbook" by Andrew Stevenson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Billionaires’ Handbook: A User’s Guide to Wealth and Power by Andrew Stevenson is a sarcastic review of the world of rich people. It is especially centered on the rules powerful billionaire made to become rich and stay that way.

This is a very short book with only 96 pages perfect for reading in one sitting. The narrative is accompanied by illustrations that take this parody on another level. The author explained rules that have changed in economic history. Every topic discussed in this book is very brief and on point. Most of its rules are the ones that dictate today’s economy. The author sets the center of the book around 30 rules that are made after capitalism fell apart, and 25 rules made after the 2008 financial crash. The tone of the book is ironic and political. 

"Most people think we billionaires get to where we are by not following the rules, but that’s just ridiculous. Of course we do. We write them and then we follow them."

It is a read that made me feel a certain way. I admit I expected a more formal or even a book like a memoir. The cynicism of it all took me by surprise. At a certain point, I was angry. This is not a relatable read at all. Especially at the beginning of this book, that is obvious to see. The tone of it is very condescending. I don’t know if the arrogance is the language that all billionaires speak, as I don’t know any, but that is what Stevenson used here to narrate this book. I could see the sarcasm, that the author intended, later on in the book. That made me enjoy this book much more.

"Capitalism is dead. Yes, I’m sure. I spoke at the funeral."

Even though I am not a fan of the tone of this book, I don’t fault it for it. What I didn’t like is the formatting of it. It was just off. There are just a few sentences per page, and the font is small and somewhat hard to see. It reminds me of the format of children’s books. I am not sure if that was the intention of the author. That is the reason I can’t rate it a perfect score. So, I will rate it three out of four stars. I can’t rate it any lower because I didn’t find any grammatical errors. I loved illustrations, they were a great add to the storyline. The narrative is easily understandable, with only a few borderline profanities.

I would recommend this book to any reader that likes political satire or all the readers that enjoy short non-fiction from an author that writes books from the experienced background. Readers looking for quick tips for making money will not find them here.

The Billionaires’ Handbook
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: The Count of Monte Cristo
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by sirbobthewise »

What a clever book! The ironic, parodic aspect is really interesting. It sounds like you had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the book, so props to you for being able to review it from a fairly neutral space. The quotes that you pulled out helped me get a sense of the qualities you were describing and gave me a bit of a giggle, so thanks for that inclusion. Great review!

Also, your avatar makes me happy. Just saying. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”