Review by Bergahitaxxxxla -- Devil in False Colors

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bergahitaxxxxla
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bergahitaxxxxla.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Review by Bergahitaxxxxla -- Devil in False Colors

Post by Bergahitaxxxxla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil in False Colors" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jack Winnick’s Devil in False Colors is a rousing masterpiece that revolves around Lara, a seasoned FBI Agent, and Uri, one of the most distinguished Mossad assassins from Israel. Together, they’re on a mission to trace the group behind the massacre of Jewish children in Beverly Hills and other shooting rampages directly to the Jews in Los Angeles. Initially, they pinned their target on ISIS, however, as their investigations progress, they gather a piece of evidence that it is indeed the Shia Muslims of Iran and Hezbollah who deliberately portrayed themselves as Sunni Muslims that are behind the attacks on the US.

Lara and Uri need to infiltrate the responsible gang, stop their further attacks, and apprehend them. The plan seems simple, but one single wrong move can jeopardize their mission and cost their lives.

This book was a true page-turner, an action-filled crime thriller that would keep its readers’ adrenaline pumped up. I was enthralled every time I flip a page, and couldn’t wait to know what would happen next to the story and the characters. The plot was what I liked best in this book. It was fast-paced, well-written, perfectly executed, and simply brilliant.

Besides the plot, the leading characters were also pleasing. Uri was patriotic, a true hero of his homeland. He embodied what an authentic spy was, and was like a chameleon that changed with his environment. Further, he was cautious yet was not afraid to take risks. Lara, on the other hand, displayed the character of an empowered woman well. She secured her position in a male-dominated workforce. She may be a little stubborn, but she proved that she could work on her own. Moreover, their chemistry was apparent, and the sexual tension between them sprinkled a little spice on the story. Another thing that I appreciate in this book was the detailed but not overbearing action scenes. The antagonists in this book were a radical group of men, therefore expect some cruel and gore scenarios.

This book was also quite informative for someone like me who possessed little knowledge about our Muslim brothers and Islam. This could also pass as historical fiction. The author exhibited his knowledge about the Middle Eastern countries, their culture, and religion. Also, his view against the ongoing rift between Muslims was evident in his writing. Honestly, I was a little worried at the beginning that some of our Muslim readers might take offense in this book, but as I perused farther, I understood the genuine sentiment and view of the author regarding the matter.

There was not a thing that I disliked in this book. However, the wide roster of characters may distract some readers. Overall, I genuinely had a great experience going through this book. It was also well edited. As a result, I would rate this book 4 stars out of 4. Finally, I enthusiastically recommend this fascinating book to everyone, especially to people who typically enjoy action-packed crime thrillers and spy or assassin novels.

Devil in False Colors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”