Review by Mina-Phillips -- Black Beach by Olivia Rana

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mina-Phillips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mina-phillips.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Review by Mina-Phillips -- Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Mina-Phillips »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Black Beach" by Olivia Rana.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Black Beach, by Olivia Rana, tells the story of Frida, an Icelandic woman who can see Huldufólk - “hidden people”. The story moves between 1953 (when Frida is a child discovering her abilities) and 2021 (where Frida is a seventy-seven-year-old woman living in a rest home). The story kicks off when Frida decides to run away from the rest home in order to help the Huldufolk protect their homes from being destroyed by developers. She does this with the help of her Huldufólk friend Paulina.

Alda, Frida’s adult daughter (who initially does not know what to think of her mother’s supposed abilities) becomes entwined in Frida’s quest to save the Huldufolk. And so begins a mother-daughter-and-Huldulfolk adventure quite unlike any other I have read.

This is a tale that will stay with me for a while. I’m going to miss the characters as well as the daily dose of Icelandic culture. It is a beautiful story and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading fantasy, is curious about Icelandic culture, or who enjoys folklore. That being said, if you like fast-paced stories that keep you hooked every step of the way, this might not be the story for you. Black Beach draws you in slowly but the characters of the story are warm and intriguing. It brings with it a sense of wholesome childhood magic that is difficult to effectively achieve in a story designed for adults. And adults, be aware: this is a story aimed at adults. There is the very occasional swear word and adult theme.

Rana approaches the story with craft and sensitivity, so much so that I found myself tearing up a little by the end of the book (you will understand why when you read it). The relationships within the story are what really make it a success. What is also intriguing is that there are elements of truth to the story: Rana traveled to Vík, where the story is set, and interviewed many of its residents about their cultural and societal background. She also worked with Icelandic seer and environmentalist Ragnhildur Jónsdóttir to develop the story.

There is a little something for everyone in this book - family drama, romance, folklore, history, and culture. I loved the characters and the interwoven storylines - the only thing that needed improvement was the proofreading. A few minor grammatical errors had been overlooked throughout the book. For this reason, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Black Beach
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I have started reading this today and already had a hard time putting it down to cook dinner! I can't wait to see how the story unfolds.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I don’t mind stories with slow build-up so long as it has great premise, and well-developed characters. I have enjoyed your lovely review.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

This sounds like it could be a really interesting fantasy novel if the author hired a professional editor.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”