Review by Nkoo -- The Mountain and The Goat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nkoo
Currently Reading: Sandra Eden's War
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka

Review by Nkoo -- The Mountain and The Goat

Post by Nkoo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mountain and The Goat" by Siamak Taghaddos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inspired by his dad at a young age to be resourceful by taking advantage of the opportunities presented to him in life, Siamak Taghaddos decided to write The Mountain and The Goat: Plant the seed of entrepreneurship, resourcefulness, and take-action mentality in children. The author's intention is that children will be inculcated with an entrepreneurial and proactive mentality by reading the book. This short read was illustrated by Zachary Cain.

The rhythmic flow of the story follows the wise and intelligent decisions an unidentified racer has to make in a tedious journey up a mountain. The goat he met at the mountain offered him some water and bread as well as advised him to plan ahead. Some of the decisions the racer was faced with meant taking advantage of the resources at his disposal to obtain what he needed at every step of the way.

I like the juxtaposition of the narratives and illustrations; they will aid a better understanding of the story. Children will find the colorful aspect of this book attractive, thereby drawing them into the story. The colorful illustrations will also appeal to children and capture their attention.

One of the issues I had with the book was that the story appeared to be scanty; it fell short of the wealth of knowledge the author indicated he received from his dad. The author could have expanded the central theme with more ideas. A more elaborate construction of sentences would have been appropriate and beneficial to children who are the target audience of this book. In my view, the illustrations are also not adequate representations of the entire story.

Furthermore, despite the fact that the narrator was the main character, no name or illustration was provided in that regard. Since the story was narrated in the first person, the readers should have been given the opportunity of attaching a name or an illustration to the narrator. This will make the story more relatable. For example, nobody was seen running to the mountain as emphasized on the last page. Again, in my view, the story ended abruptly. Overall, I believe the book has some room for improvement.

The book contains no profanity or sexual content whatsoever. It appeared to be professionally edited; I found no errors therein. For the earlier mentioned reasons, I hereby award The Mountain and The Goat: Plant the seed of entrepreneurship, resourcefulness, and take-action mentality in children by Siamak Taghaddos, a three out of four stars. I did not award it a lower rating because of the invaluable life lessons it contains. I recommend it to all children, particularly those between the ages of 3 and 8.

The Mountain and The Goat
View: on Bookshelves

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Swing by sharon allen
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I have read stories before where the narrator had no name, and I found it very annoying. Thanks for this review.

Caffrey_19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Caffrey_19 »

The writer's message is well noted and resourceful. Not everyone understands the need to train children to be goal-driven. Often times, they grow up not understanding why they have to be extra and zealous in their place of work. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”