Review by f-trot99 -- The McCoys Before The Feud

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
f-trot99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-f-trot99.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Review by f-trot99 -- The McCoys Before The Feud

Post by f-trot99 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The McCoys Before The Feud" by Thomas McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The McCoys Before the Feud by Thomas A. McCoy is a story that takes place in 19th century America at the end of the civil war. The South has lost, and a corrupt General has taken advantage of the situation. The McCoy family, outraged by the injustice done to the families of the South, come across information about the General’s secret stash of stolen loot that he intends to keep or himself. With maps of the sites hiding the stash, a band of McCoy men, fresh from fighting in the war, choose to work together to pull off daring heists as they try to liberate the stolen goods.

When I saw the author’s last name, I wondered if he was related to the same McCoys talked about in his book and after reading the preface, my suspicion was confirmed. The story was based on historical facts and if the author had not specifically said that it was a work of fiction, I would have thought that it happened. I love the way he made the story seem so realistic as though he was narrating it from a real-life experience. The heist scenes were my favorite, and I could feel the suspense.

However, I would have loved to get a little more detail when it came to the description of the characters. There was also a general lack in the portrayal of emotions of the characters but it did not affect my enjoyment of the story that much. The author also did not deliver as much of that old western dialect and humor, as I would have loved. The dialect and humor are what draw me into old western stories. The shooting scenes were nicely done but, unfortunately, were not as many as I expected there would be.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would give it a 2.7 if I could because it fell a little short of what I expected it to be. Nevertheless, because it had no profanity or erotic content – which was a plus for me – and still delivered a very nice storyline, I did not mind giving it a 3. The book was also very well edited with very few errors.

This book is a good read especially to those who love old western action and suspense with a bit of humor and a bit of romance. As the first book in the series, it can be considered complete on its own but leaves you wanting a bit more. It is also suitable for all age groups.

The McCoys Before The Feud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”