Review by adamgreenrock -- Away To Me, My Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Review by adamgreenrock -- Away To Me, My Love

Post by adamgreenrock »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Away To Me, My Love" by Naomi McDonald.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Away To Me, My Love, written by Naomi McDonald, is a non-fiction memoir about the author's life with her former Border Collie dog, Luke and her close ones who've helped her throughout her life.

Naomi McDonald had been dealing with her fears and self-doubt for a long while because of the trauma she faced in her childhood years. This book explores her life and her journey through self-realization, how she learns to deal with her past and how her closet friends, family and her best friend, Luke, helped her overcome those fears to follow her calling in life. And it mainly involves sheepherding.

Since this book is based on a true story, I had high hopes that the book will have a lot of genuine care and heart into it. And it turns out that I was right. The author did say in the book that being a storyteller was not her intention. She wrote this book just to relive the moments she has with her dog that changed her life. And I think that speaks volumes on why I like this book. The author gives out little snippets of her trauma while still making the pacing of the book well-rounded. Her perspective on life developed gradually was interesting and made me learn more things about animals in a light that we tend to overlook. The book's tone overall was well balanced. It can get wholesome whenever the author interacts with her beloved husband, Mac, and Luke, or it could be pretty sad whenever the author felt some guilt on the people she had hurt unintentionally. And this book was well professionally edited. I have only found a few errors in the book while everything else was clean.

However, there is a problem I have with this book and that's mainly on how the epilogue was handled. Now I'm sure that the author has good intentions on how she ended the book and wanted some closure since her friend, Luke, did, unfortunately, pass away. I get that they have a bond that can never be broken, but sometimes I feel like how the execution of the ending was somewhat off. It might just be my personal feelings on how it was executed, but it somewhat sours my feelings on the book a bit. Sweet, but not my cup of tea.

Overall, I do enjoy my time reading this book. Even though that ending was not my preference, it was nice to see through the author's story and how wholesome and worthwhile it was. I'll give this book 3 out of 4 stars. If you are a fan of animals or would love to know why people love animals, especially the man's best friend, this will be perfect for young adults like you.

Away To Me, My Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Garden Gnome Adventures by Jay Atkinson

Post by Tomah »

This sounds like a touching memoir that should appeal to readers interested in the bonds between humans and animals. Thanks for the review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Either Side of Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2 by Jesse Moreno

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciated your reactions to the author's writing style - especially the epilogue. That is definitely a struggle since a memoir is subjective. I was happy to see your objective rating since this sounds like a good read for animal lovers. Great review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Either Side of Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2 by Jesse Moreno

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciated your reactions to the author's writing style - especially the epilogue. That is definitely a struggle since a memoir is subjective. I was happy to see your objective rating since this sounds like a good read for animal lovers. Great review!

Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by Charlyt »

I like animals and I love dogs, but I don't think I can handle stories like these which are deep and emotional towards them, especially knowing that they will pass away. Thanks for a great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

fadjei
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by fadjei »

I think memoirs an be very subjective in terms of whether they are good or not given the fact that it is about sharing one's own experiences. This does sound like it was a well-written memoir overall. I like how the author was able to use writing as an outlet to express her experiences and feelings.
Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”