Review by Mmileski23 -- The Dark Web Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mmileski23
Currently Reading: You
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmileski23.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Mmileski23 -- The Dark Web Murders

Post by Mmileski23 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To me, the sign of a good murder mystery is one that leaves you guessing until the very end of the book. The Dark Web Murders by Brian O’Hare is an intriguing murder mystery about a killer who has a very specific way of killing his victims, and writes a detailed blog about his killings on the dark web. Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan and his team are faced with a large list of suspects and struggle to find a connection between the murdered victims. This story touches on the dark side of humanity, and shows just how scary the world can truly be.

Nemein, or what he calls himself on the dark web, is a narcissistic psychopath who writes a detailed blog about his killings. He goes into the gory details, allowing the readers to relive his actions through the blog posts. Who is Nemein? Is he a member of “The Club”? Is he someone who was wrongfully convicted by Judge Neeson? What is the connection between him and the victims? All of these questions will constantly run through the reader's mind for the duration of the book.

I enjoyed how I had no idea who the killer was. From beginning to end, I would’ve never guessed that this person was capable of these gruesome acts. Once the police discover the blog posts, details begin to reveal themselves to the detectives investigating. The ending really ties everything together and made me wonder to myself how I could’ve possibly missed all these clues given throughout the story. The ending had so much tension, and made it impossible for me to put the book down.

I found the glossary at the beginning very useful because it explained who each character was as well as some police terms that not everybody knows off the top of their head. Even though I found it confusing at times to figure out who was who, I had the glossary to go back to. The story was a little slow at the beginning, but once the plot started to form, I became engrossed in knowing what would happen next. The characters were well-developed, and all though it was the fourth book in the series, I felt like I knew the characters anyway. O’Hare is a phenomenal storyteller and I am very eager to read more of his books.

The book is well edited, with some adult language present. I highly recommend it to anyone that reads crime, thriller or mystery novels. There is disturbing sexual behavior present throughout the novel, and detailed descriptions of the murders that are not suitable for young readers and the faint-hearted. With all of this in mind, I am happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Although it is quite a dark and disturbing story, for those who can tolerate it, I definitely recommend to put it on their “to read” list.

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”