Review by Reina275 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reina275
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reina275.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Reina275 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reina275 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The next book that we are going to talk about is Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands, written by Jorge P. Newbery. He, being the main narrator and character of this book, explains how his life has been a challenge after challenge since a very young age and how he had to overcome them all to get where he is today, even if life and everybody else is against you.

First, I'm going to say that this is the second non-fictional book that I read. It's my second because I used to think that this kind of books tends to be tedious and boring, but this one proved me wrong. It went through a series of events in which I could feel represented, like financial issues, that sparked up the curiosity in me to keep reading. Besides, Jorge has a determined mindset and hard-working personality so is easy to connect with him.

One of the things that I liked about this book is the very humble beginning of the protagonist and how he slowly climb-ups his way to success, also how his first aspirations differed to completely different ones. What I loved the most was how the author captured the differences between social classes in a protest and put out some of his stories keeping everything real. The time speed was a good choice, in my opinion, making the reading more entertaining.

On the contrary, I must say to my dismay that he doesn't specify the year he starts narrating until much further in the book, so it is hard to place yourself in the time although he gives some hints saying punk was very popular at the time. You can tell that the author narrates the events very vividly that sometimes he gets so caught up in the story that forgets to explain certain things, like acronyms meanings or other characters involved, which makes things a little confusing. Furthermore, the use of financial slang to average readers like me could be not understood, so some kind of explanation could avoid that.

I didn't find any grammatical errors, so the book is well-edited. Written in the first person, contain some strong language but not too much. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the lack of explanation mainly. If you are going through a difficult time, financially or emotionally, I recommend you to read this book, because it will teach you to work hard on your goals and not give up.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”