Review by Kirsi_78 -- Chasing A Flawed Sun by Daniel McGhee

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review by Kirsi_78 -- Chasing A Flawed Sun by Daniel McGhee

Post by Kirsi_78 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chasing A Flawed Sun" by Daniel McGhee.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chasing A Flawed Sun is a true story of the life of the author, Daniel McGhee. It is a story of a young American man, who, just like many others, gets tangled deep into the world of drugs. Everything starts with an alcohol addiction and shortly transfers into something much worse. Chasing A Flawed Sun opens up a window into a parallel reality which is standing right in front of us, but only a few of us are aware of its existence. Our tour guide, Daniel McGhee, shows us through the tough streets of Baltimore, institutions, prisons, addiction and worst of all, his own mind. Reading Chasing A Flawed Sun is like taking a highway to hell. In most cases heroin addiction means a slow excruciating death, but there are some lucky ones who actually survive to tell the rest of us their stories in all its brutality.

Daniel McGhee strikes me as an extraordinary personality; intelligent, emphatic and sensitive, yet so eager to become something completely different. Diving into his mind is interesting and leaves one wondering, how did such a brilliant personality end up destroying his life at such a young age? For the reader, the truth lies somewhere in between the lines. However, it becomes very clear that the author doesn’t think too much of himself. The feeling of not being able to live up to the expectations of the surrounding society leads Daniel to a road to self-destruction.

I really liked the upright honest manner this book was written. On these pages, there is no embellishing the truth, just the raw ugly facts. My understanding is, that these issues need to be brought to daylight without the slightest bit of glamour. It is a dangerous world out there on the streets, and maybe someone’s soul will be saved by hearing the absolute brutal truth about drugs and, especially, heroin addiction.

What I did not like about this book, is that it gives too much coverage to the main character’s life before getting clean. Almost the whole book being an exhausting throttle through a drug blurred parallel reality, it quickly becomes too much to take in. After two hundred pages of hopeless drug addiction, stealing, fighting and betrayal, the reader starts to wonder if this horror is ever going to end. After three hundred pages one starts to feel numb for the horror of the story. For the sake of readability, the author could have summed it up a bit. Personally, I was hoping to read more about his recovery, which is now squeezed into the last 60 pages of the book. This makes the reading experience rather heavy.

Everyone who knows an addict or suspects knowing one should definitely read this book. It might help us to understand what actually goes through the mind of an addict. And also to adjust our behavior in order to support them on a way out of their deathly habit.

I give Chasing A Flawed Sun 2 out of 4 stars. The author would actually have deserved 3 stars, but he would also have deserved a more dedicated editor. I was left with a feeling that editing was done in a hurry, resulting a heavy reading experience and some unanswered questions. However, the author did an extraordinary job with unfolding a mind of an addict, and his story definitely deserves to be told.

Chasing A Flawed Sun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mbrooks2518
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 360
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Broken Glass Mystery by Don Monroe

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Focusing on his drug use for most of the book makes this too heavy of a read for me. Thanks for the great, thorough review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”