Review by Salma_asa -- Child of the Sun Complete Edition

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Review by Salma_asa -- Child of the Sun Complete Edition

Post by Salma_asa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Child of the Sun Complete Edition" by Michael Van Cleve.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Child of the Sun Complete Edition is a compilation of seven comic book issues by Michael Van Cleve. The story of the book revolves around the biblical character ‘Samson’. There are some other mythological characters too: Heracles, Gilgamesh and many more. At the beginning of the story, Samson meets Heracles and befriends him. Soon after, he meets Adriana, a priestess of the temple of goddess Astarte, and falls in love with her.

Usually, Delilah is known to be Samson's love interest and wife. In this novel, Adriana's story is told whom Samson almost married in his early life. Things go wrong on the last day of their wedding when Adriana betrays his trust. This incident gradually worsens things and brings about a catastrophe. A war breaks out and thousands of lives are lost.

This is a graphic novel and the illustrations were very polished and detailed. I could picture the whole thing in my mind. The artist surely deserves a pat on the back. But the story development was not that much organized. Sometimes I felt that the story was incoherent and lacked purpose. Perhaps It seemed so because it is a collection of several books. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading the book.

The characters weren’t well-developed. Sometimes there were so abrupt changes in their behavior that I had to re-read the sentences to get them right. Some explanations could have cleared my confusion.

There are so many things I didn’t like about this book that I have to rate it two out of four. There was excessive sexual content. I don’t have any prejudice about nudity but it degrades the quality of the story if placed unnecessarily. On the plus side, I didn’t notice any grammatical errors in the book. So, it can be said that it was professionally edited.

I will recommend this novel to all mythology or comic book fans. But there is a warning. It contains a lot of full-frontal nudity and bloody graphics. So, it is suggested to mature readers only.

This book is not the usual biblical version you know. The author used a lot of imaginations. So, keep that in mind while reading. One more thing, if you don’t have enough knowledge about these biblical and mythological characters, please do a little research on them before you start reading. I had to google a lot amid reading because they were all new to me, and I didn’t understand many things. I could enjoy my reading more if I had prior knowledge.

Child of the Sun Complete Edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I don't care much about the comic book style. I agree with you that the explicit parts of the novel can ruin the entire read. I do take offense with explicit descriptions, especially when about a biblical character. I also don't care for overly violent situations which it sounds like this novel has. Having pictures to go with the explicit sexual and violent content would not be something I would care to see or read about! Thanks for the honesty in your review. It gives the potential reader a heads up so they can make an informed decision as to reading this book! Great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
moonopam
Currently Reading: Four Kittens in the Bathroom
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonopam.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by moonopam »

This book seem to mix biblical characters and imaginary ones. Its good for fiction lovers. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading your review.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

Thanks for a great review. It’s a shame the storyline and character development was not as appealing as some of the artwork. The idea of the story sounds promising but it seems to fail to deliver.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”