Review by praise+anyi -- Duplicity by Fin C Gray

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Review by praise+anyi -- Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Duplicity" by Fin C Gray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever made a wish for life to become better than you've possessed it for a while? Have you ever desired to run away from the existing troubles with its underlying consequences? Pile up of debts staring glaringly at your face, not so cordial relationship existing between you and your family, with your career going through melting landslides. Have you been heartbroken and turned into something which you are not? That was the story of Tom McIntyre and his son Daniel McIntyre, in Duplicity, an intriguing crime thriller written by Fin C. Gray.

Tom and Alison had it all going for them at the beginning with two beautiful souls added to their one knit family (Daniel and Jenny). However, with the overwhelming responsibility of catering for these children, the mortgage, and other debts to be paid, Tom seems to have lost it seeking for a free getaway from life and all its struggles. With Daniel, an Innocent and promising son who would always love to find answers and explore the world, Tom was always on the lookout for him. Meanwhile, Daniel and his dearest friend from school Kevin, after talking about Kevin's dad, who was a lorry driver, started nursing the idea of checking out the lorry park down the street. His whole life suffered a drastic change when he explored the park. Could he have turned the hands of time and perhaps retraced his steps?

From the prologue, I became deeply engrossed in this well-written book. The author's preface started the book with a suicide bombing scene that kept me on my toes. This literary work created a hunger to find out what happened, and I kept wondering and tried to guess which particular character Fin wrote about even when I was in the third chapter. The suspense was high, and it made the book very engaging.

I liked the character development of the book. This fantastic psycho-dramatic thriller centered on Tom as the protagonist. However, there was Daniel, whose pure innocence was stolen from him at a very young age in a traumatic manner. Everything was beautifully falling into place for Tom. But after losing his most treasured pearl, Alison, the whole world came crashing in on him. The good life he craved for went with the wind. Daniel, who couldn't put up with this loss and the lies that came with the death of his mum, severed the relationship he ever had with his dad. The Decisions he took thereafter, hooking up with his Palestinian friend Waqar created a queer Daniel that caused global damage that the world wouldn’t forget in a hurry. In Daniel's words:
He'd lied about mum and her illness. He'd kept all that from him, when he could have been preparing him, getting him ready, allowing him to spend more time with her.
Fin developed characters that were relatable and believable.

What I liked most was the way the author transitioned from the present to the past and back. I also liked his convincing and descriptive writing style. I didn't have to go back and forth to understand the message he was conveying at any point.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crime thriller. However, I must mention that it contains sexual content and profane language that some readers might find offensive. The editing was top-notch, as I only discovered a few errors. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Duplicity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love crime thriller, and definitely will love this one. Nice and thorough review. Thanks for sharing 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an intriguing book about a young man taking the wrong path in life. I do enjoy thrillers. Thanks for your wonderful review!
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

The whole thing with going in future and going in past is always very confusing, but turns out author did a good job with taking care of this one! Such authors always deserve an applause. Thank you for your comprehensive and thorough review
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:

Post by praise+anyi »

Sushan wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 10:39 I love crime thriller, and definitely will love this one. Nice and thorough review. Thanks for sharing 👍👍
The book is a great read and you'll definitely love it. Thanks for stopping by.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:

Post by praise+anyi »

Prisallen wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 09:03 This sounds like an intriguing book about a young man taking the wrong path in life. I do enjoy thrillers. Thanks for your wonderful review!
He allowed darkness to overwhelm him thereby pushing him to the wrong path. You'll definitely enjoy this book if you pick it up. Thanks for stopping by.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:

Post by praise+anyi »

bellajavier wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 11:56 The whole thing with going in future and going in past is always very confusing, but turns out author did a good job with taking care of this one! Such authors always deserve an applause. Thank you for your comprehensive and thorough review
Yeah! It was confusing at a point, but it spiced up the suspense. The book kept me on my toes till the denouement. Thanks a lot for stopping by.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

From your review, it seems like an interesting read. I hope it lives up to its hype. Thanks for an honest review.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Sounds like an interesting book. I'd like to try it out. Thanks for your review.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

A very intriguing and thought provoking book. I liked how real and well developed the characters were. I enjoyed reading your review of this book

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”