Review by daydreaming reader -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by daydreaming reader -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by daydreaming reader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Born into a family faced with poverty and addictions, Ace Bowers grew up feeling isolated from the rest of the world, and at times, even from his own family. One unsuspecting day, circumstances force him to face reality and re-evaluate his life. Either he chooses to stay on the destructive course he has known since birth or he creates a new path for himself. As the he forges ahead to create the future he wants, he comes to understand certain elements about his childhood and learns that sometimes, letting go is as important as holding on.

The Mindset: My Journey from Janitor to Silicon Valley Millionaire in Five Years is a ten-chapter debut book and memoir by Ace Bowers. The memoir surrounds the struggles the Ace Bowers faced while growing up in a dysfunctional family, particularly the late teenage years and early adulthood.

I think that many people will be able to the author’s early life. Granted, we may not all have the same starting point nor the same definition of success, but the memoir certainly highlights that fact that a person can either choose to continue a cycle or break it.

The book was devoid of a detailed explanation of how to become a millionaire as the bare minimum is provided. This is intentional, as the title of the book suggests a focus on how using a state of mind can help to propel one out of poverty.

While I did not detect any errors, I thought that there were more commas than necessary, which really did not affect the quality of the writing or my reading experience.

What I liked about this book is its conciseness, which I understand is strange. However, I appreciated the direct approach presented by Mr. Bowers because it allowed me the freedom to consider about what he wrote in the book and draw my conclusions on how it applies to reality at a personal level. What I also liked about the book, is the honesty. At the end, the author acknowledges that the book was initially about him ranting about his past and eventually it evolved into him letting go. This, in my opinion added to the value of the book as it shows the growth the individual experience.

Overall, I give the book 4 out of 4 stars . As stated earlier, I did not detect distracting errors. There are many good points about this book. While I do think this book can appeal to wide range of readers, I think the target audience would be teenagers and young adults. If you are looking for a detailed explanation of how to become a millionaire, I would not suggest this book.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”