Review by Nicolene75 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Nicolene75 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Nicolene75 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign is a brilliant fantasy young adult book that kept me glued to the pages to the very end. Truth to be told I actually finished it in record time but then regretted it because it left me hanging and wanting more!

The story revolves around Adam Caspian, the main protagonist and a gloomy but highly intelligent teenager who resents all people (seeing them as animals with repulsive stenches) and struggles with his own personal demons including a very strange obsession with his mother. Things start taking a turn when he meets Carly Wit, the new girl in town and they found themselves strangely attracted to each other from the word go. They soon discover the reason for that attraction: they are both descendants of a biologically evolved group of humans who possess extraordinary abilities and glowing limbal rings. Whereas Carly has known about her heritage her whole life and had time to develop her abilities, Adam has been oblivious about his. Both their abilities, as well as the other Descendants’, get tested and exhibited during some nail-biting clashes with the Iksha scientists who purposely try to acquire those said abilities, by any means necessary.

Both characters evolved immensely throughout the book, the pace was well set and the author’s brilliant writing style had me spellbound as she described the setting in minute detail thus sucking you into the story and had me feeling like I was standing right beside them the entire time. The riveting twists and turns the plot took, along with all the characters that were introduced throughout the book, kept me on that rollercoaster ride.

Initially, the summary piqued my interest but I could never in a million years imagine that I would enjoy reading the book so much. If I might be so presumptuous, I would like to borrow from the characters’ abilities and “predict” that Calix Leigh-Reign has a great future ahead of her as a promising author and it is for this reason that I happily award 4 out of 4 stars.

I found the book extremely well-edited with only minor errors. Because of the disturbing sexually-orientated thoughts and actions of Adam, especially in the beginning of the book, as well as some violence towards the end, I would not recommend the book for younger children. However, I think both teenagers and adults would thoroughly enjoy this book and I look forward to reading the rest of the series myself.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

I am a reader, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Jbcitygirl
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 133
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbcitygirl.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Jbcitygirl »

Awesome review! I was initially put off by Adams’ disturbing thoughts, but I must admit that your review is swaying my opinion heavily.

Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nicolene75 »

Jbcitygirl wrote: ↑
26 Mar 2020, 01:24
Awesome review! I was initially put off by Adams’ disturbing thoughts, but I must admit that your review is swaying my opinion heavily.
Thank you so much for your feedback. Do yourself a favor and read the book, you won't be sorry!

I am a reader, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”