Review by tristenb -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by tristenb -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a young girl who claims that she is your granddaughter you didn’t know existed showing up on your doorstep and then being stuck with her. This is exactly what happened to Tom as he was preparing to go on a trip with his good friend, William, and his daughter, Myra. Tom had been planning a trip to check on his grandfather’s grave in the Olympic National Park and return an old bone thrower before mining begins in the area and felt obliged to bring his contrary granddaughter, Sarah, along for the journey. What none of them expected is that Sarah would bring them on an entirely different journey altogether.

The Olympic Peninsula is a land full of magic, history, and legend. Even so, when Sarah claims that she’s seen a gigantic, short face bear that’s been extinct since the end of the last ice age, Tom, William, and Myra don’t readily believe her. Sarah’s tales become even more unbelievable after she goes missing for eight days and suddenly shows up with unexplainable injuries. Is it possible that Sarah’s tales of ancient societies, extinct animals, and historical places are true? What does this all have to do with the old bone thrower and will they be able to recover it before mining threatens to damage a potentially important archeological site?

Honestly, when I first starting reading Strong Heart by Charles Sheldon, I wasn’t expecting much more than a story of personal development. However, after setting a solid base, Sheldon quickly throws the reader into a realm where anything is possible. What I liked most about this book is that it went beyond any expectations I had before reading the book. The addition of fantasy and suspense keep the reader glued to the pages until the very end. The book is unique, interesting, and even a bit educational. I won’t forget it anytime soon.

The one downfall of the book for me is that it ended way too soon. You know a book is good when this happens, but I felt like there was so much more of the story left to go. I was left wanting so much more. I wish Sheldon would have included what happened on the rest of their trip and the trip they were planning to take the next year. That being said, there is a second book in the Strong Heart series, Adrift, that may answer some of my questions. If not, I still understand Sheldon’s reasons for leaving the rest of the story up to the reader’s imagination.

Overall, the book was better than I expected. I was fascinated by the ancient tales and archaeological facts presented throughout the book. I have a new interest in the Bering land bridge and the people that existed during that time period. The book is exceptionally well-edited as I didn’t find even one error. The book is appropriate for any age group, but young adults would find this book the most interesting. However, if you don’t like stories with a little bit of fantasy, then you likely won’t enjoy this book. Based on all the previously stated reasons, I rate Strong Heart by Charles Sheldon 4 out of 4 stars.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This book seems fascinating, and I'll probably read it thanks to your review. Thank you for the helpful review!
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

You really dealt all the cards nicely. This really sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the very informative review.
Faridah Mwilson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faridah-mwilson.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by Faridah Mwilson »

Are sarah's tales about ancient societies true??? If so, what the take on Tom, Myra and William?? Sounds unique. I would love to have a look at it
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

sounds like a worthwhile book for someone willing to take on a book series. I personally don’t know how to follow up book series but I love this honest review and I think taking this leap of faith to read it will be worth while.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

I can't imagine someone showing up from anywhere and claims to be related to me. That can be so confusing. Ancient tales and archaeological facts are things I will appreciate reading. Great review.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

Imagine a young girl who claims that she is your granddaughter you didn’t know existed showing up on your doorstep and then being stuck with her.
Since I am young, I can only imagine that I have a cousin somewhere and then shows up.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Christabel18+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel18.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer

Post by Christabel18+ »

Stuff like this still happen? A girl comes out of nowhere claiming to be your granddaughter and you've got to accept her. Wow quite interesting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”