Review by Wyland -- The Cult Next Door

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by Wyland -- The Cult Next Door

Post by Wyland »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cult Next Door" by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aren’t kids’ brains like sponges which soak up anything, be it values or impressions of the world? For good reasons, at eight, Liz knew she wanted to be just like her dad—a skilled, respectable, and compassionate man. Pitifully, though, after losing him, the next person to make her happy anew was her first boyf, Joe. Unbelievably, before long, Joe passed away, as well; as she describes her experiences then, it was like half of her had been ripped apart and her dreams extinguished.

The book The Cult Next Door: A Manhattan Memoir by Elizabeth R. Burchard and Judith L. Carlone brings up the circumstances that’d make a highly educated young woman join a cult. It goes further to describe the authors’ harrowing experiences under the cult. Nonetheless, what’s remarkable is that Liz didn’t decide to join a cult; this is because she didn’t even know she was in one, or that there was even such a thing as a cult, for that matter.

In hindsight, then, it dawned on me just how much our close friends or family members can make or break us, especially in instances where the necessary support system is lacking. A case in point is Liz’s mom: the reader will be surprised to learn of her whereabouts while her daughter was wallowing in cult instigated misery.

Although I can’t divulge much on Liz’s mom without spoilers, the antagonist, on the other hand, is one for the books. George Sharkman starts as a polite and intelligent technician, who works in a stress reduction practice owned by Dr. Keith Rogers. As the popularity of Dr. Rogers’ clinic increases, George becomes bolder and inventive in his manner with the patients. In the twinkling of an eye, without his “patients” smelling a rat, George becomes an energy vampire incarnate—arrogant, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. Indeed, to Liz, he comes across as a “welcome distraction from the black hole in” her soul.

There is a lot of fluidity in how the events depicted in this novel unfold. This makes the plot fast paced and ascertained to keep the readers on the edge of their seats. Besides, the writing is rich in vocabulary and showcases the authors’ flair in other languages, especially French.

Without giving anything away, amid an aggrieved tone, Liz painfully writes that she wanted her twenty long years of servitude to George back. Interestingly, when Carlone, the co-author, rescued her, she clung to her like a lost child. So, to say, it wasn’t lost on me on how realistic raw emotions were portrayed by the authors. I found the emotions of the incidents depicted too strong not to find myself empathizing with the victims concerned. Additionally, the authors did well to present their real-life experiences chronologically, running from December 1971 to June 2008.

As I finish, for a few reasons that follow, I won't hesitate to recommend this book to as wide an audience as possible. Firstly, for a novel covering such a long period, it’s exceptionally well-edited, as I didn’t come across a single error whatsoever. Secondly, in the news, it’s common to hear of a cult hurting or even killing people as a result of its transgression; as in Liz’s case, it starts innocently, and yet its ramifications are far-reaching. So, I recommend the book to the general readership, irrespective of age.

Lastly, for the compelling story it is, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The book may be less suited, even so, to sensitive readers because of sections that depict some bizarre practices. Many of these practices form part of a religious ceremony or spiritual experience.

The Cult Next Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

Wow, great review the way you analysed this book has left me extremely hungry to read it. When I was in boarding school, I came across a friend involved in a cult. Well to shorten a long story, he scared the me and that was the end of our friendship. Thanks for the extremely detailed review.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

I'm so happy for Lyz that she managed her way out of the cult. It's infuriating how cult leaders steal people's lives like that. Thanks for the great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The role of Liz's mother in her cult involvement was appalling. You are right, friends and family play a heavy influence. This book does have a message that people need to hear. Thanks for the insightful review of this book!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Reading about cults is interesting, so I expect this book to be so. Thanks for the thorough review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscopic Shades
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

She lost her dad, then the boyfriend. I feel for her. Nice review.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Marshal mutai »

This is too much for one to digest at times. Iots of questions come into my mind whenever I hear about cults. This book might answer some. Thanks for the review
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I just picked this book up for review and cant wait to start reading it. Thanks for your insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

The book may be less suited, even so, to sensitive readers because of sections that depict some bizarre practices.
I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

A real life story! Cultism is a very dangerous thing to get involved in. Liz was very lucky to escape, but man, she was trapped for so long. Great review!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Cult stories are fascinating.
I haven't read enough of this one, so I look forward to learning how a cult can affect a person over time.
Thanks for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”