Review by AJ_Drenda -- Land of Kings by Virginia Weldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AJ_Drenda
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-drenda.html
Latest Review: Land of Kings by Virginia Weldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by AJ_Drenda -- Land of Kings by Virginia Weldon

Post by AJ_Drenda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Land of Kings" by Virginia Weldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Land of Kings by Virginia Weldon is the second instalment of The Britannia Chronicles. A sequel to Bound by Honour, it follows an ex-gladiator Regan, who after years of slavery arrives in Brittania as a free man. Aided by his cheerful companion Kehn, Regan journeys across Britannia searching for his enslaved wife Cara. Broken by the violence of the Roman arenas, the heir to the Cantiaci tribe is also in search of his sense of identity. He must decide whether to take up his rightful place as the Chief or pursue his bardic calling.

Weldon takes her readers on a ride full of epic twists and turns. She uses Boudicca’s upraising as the major obstacle for her characters to engage with and explores the motivations of the Queen of Celts from a striking emotional angle. Weldon is an attentive writer who uses the historical canvas to show the cultural complexities of the Celtic social structure. Weldon does not shy from a challenge. She writes convincingly about psychological trauma, infertility, and religious identity. Land of Kings has it all in terms of epic themes and plot.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars, because of a few editorial errors and the occasional issues with the flow of reading. Weldon adopts the several-viewpoints structure, which leads to moments in the book, where the character’s motivations feel rushed, or even forced, to fit the desired plot outcome. For example, when Regan decides to go to Erin instead of searching for Cara or when Cara decides against visiting her family. These two choices seem to ring false with the character arches set up at the beginning of the novel but are necessary for the dramatics of the plot. If these decisions are examples of Weldon’s way to explore the erratic state of mind that depression and stress can inflict on a person, then they make sense. And yet, scenes like that left me scrambling for immersion.

One of the well-developed aspects of the novel is Weldon’s treatment of ethics and morality. Goodness and evil are shown on both sides of the conflict. Weldon does a great job describing the merging of Roman and Celtic communities, the assimilation that is in itself a powerful thread across Britain’s history.

Although a part of a series, Land of Kings can be read as a standalone novel. Weldon provides enough backstory, so readers unfamiliar with Bound by Honour can approach Land of Kings without fear of missing out on valuable details of character histories. Fans of Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Mists of Avalon and Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth might find this fast-paced yet relatively short novel (just over 300 pages) enjoyable, while fans of G. R. R. Martin’s A Game of Thrones will find Weldon’s chapter-per-character viewpoint technique familiar and easy to follow.

Land of Kings
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
FelDee
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: A Voice in the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feldee.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by FelDee »

This is a well excuted review. You gave very concrete descriptions. I might consider reading this when I have the time.
Tell the truth, or at least don't lie.
~Jordan Peterson, PhD~
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That's an insightful review you wrote there. I also learned about the story of Boudicca via a book I reviewed here. She's the original Wonder Woman if you ask me.
AJ_Drenda

Post by AJ_Drenda »

FelDee wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 13:27 This is a well excuted review. You gave very concrete descriptions. I might consider reading this when I have the time.
Thank you for reading, much obliged!
AJ_Drenda

Post by AJ_Drenda »

Miriam Molina wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 16:33 That's an insightful review you wrote there. I also learned about the story of Boudicca via a book I reviewed here. She's the original Wonder Woman if you ask me.
Thank you Miriam for reading, the comment and your very helpful message on the reviewer's score - I am not yet allowed to send private messages, so I hope you'll be able to see my thanks here.

Ah yes, Boudicca is quite a legend! I love ancient and medieval history, so I've known quite a lot about her before I read the book. Actually, this is one of the reasons I was keen to read it - to see how Weldon shows Boudicca and her uprising.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

AJ_Drenda wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 09:44
Miriam Molina wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 16:33 That's an insightful review you wrote there. I also learned about the story of Boudicca via a book I reviewed here. She's the original Wonder Woman if you ask me.
Thank you Miriam for reading, the comment and your very helpful message on the reviewer's score - I am not yet allowed to send private messages, so I hope you'll be able to see my thanks here.

Ah yes, Boudicca is quite a legend! I love ancient and medieval history, so I've known quite a lot about her before I read the book. Actually, this is one of the reasons I was keen to read it - to see how Weldon shows Boudicca and her uprising.
You are most welcome!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Romans, Celtics, ex-gladiators and enslaved wives! Sounds like this fanciful tale offers a little bit of everything. Thanks for your lovely review!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

This sounds like a very interesting book. Your review is beautifully written, and it makes me want to read the book. Thank you.
AJ_Drenda

Post by AJ_Drenda »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 20:56 Romans, Celtics, ex-gladiators and enslaved wives! Sounds like this fanciful tale offers a little bit of everything. Thanks for your lovely review!
You've summed it up so aptly! Thank you for reading :tiphat:
AJ_Drenda

Post by AJ_Drenda »

Ria710 wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 10:15 This sounds like a very interesting book. Your review is beautifully written, and it makes me want to read the book. Thank you.
Thank you very much for your kind comments. If you get a chance to read the book, let me know, and we shall have a good old jolly discussion :tiphat:
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

Thanks for the review, this is the kind of book my husband usually loves and I like to keep an eye out for recs for him!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

Your remarks about ethics and morality are quite interesting. I like that the author showed both sides of the coins on each side. Thank you for your balanced and well-written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

An awesome review you've got here! One with well a detailed description. I wouldn't mind checking this book out with what I've just read. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”