Review by spirituallove -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Review by spirituallove -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by spirituallove »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday: A Novel of Reincarnation by Samyann Curtis is an American romance novel. The story revolves around the character of Amanda Parker, a twenty-six-year-old woman who lives in Chicago. Amanda’s life has been a seemingly perpetual series of disasters, and she is consequently ‘as fragile as a soap bubble hovering over a cactus’. When she saves the life of handsome Police Officer Mark Callahan, she hesitates to develop the relationship, but the two characters soon realise there is a mysterious and unexplainable bond connecting them. Amanda’s godmother Mary persuades Amanda to try past life therapy, and this proves to be a revelatory experience which uncovers the reasons for the attraction of Amanda and Mark to one another.

The story segues back and forth from present day Chicago to mid-nineteenth century Charleston during the American Civil War. What I like most about Yesterday is the author’s style of writing which flows effortlessly throughout the novel. Since some of the actions of Amanda’s complex character appear bewildering at times, I particularly like Curtis’ inclusion of the inner thoughts of the character within the narrative. This internal dialogue creates authenticity and I am able to empathise with the perspectives of both Amanda and Mark because they become more relatable. Mark’s experience of astral projection is very compelling to read, as is the plight of the Lexington family during the Chicago fire of 1871.

I really cannot find anything I do not like about Yesterday. This book is very well researched and much of the story is based on historical facts. The author’s attention to detail when describing the atmosphere of places is effective in that it evokes lucid images within the reader’s mind. Further to this, the characters’ of Bonnie, Jack, Magdalene, Ben, Daniel, John, and Penelope play a key role weaving together a tale which seamlessly integrates themes of loss, death, hope, family and true love.

Overall, I rate Yesterday 4 out of 4 stars. I can see there are no grammatical errors in this book, thus indicating that it has been professionally edited to a high standard. Curtis’ novel unveils the power of patience, perseverance, courage, and love in the face of hardship. This book is a testament to the belief that souls return to reincarnate in order to be with each other for eternity.

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone who loves historical romance and believes in the concept of everlasting love between soulmates. I would hesitate to recommend Yesterday to anyone who is offended by the idea of reincarnation and past life regression.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”