Review by Jbcitygirl -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jbcitygirl
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 133
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbcitygirl.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by Jbcitygirl -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Jbcitygirl »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Zots and Xoodles by Zargnon the Embarrassed is the story of Theodil the creator of a universe.

He explains his methods and reasoning to a committee of peers by rolling a pair of dice and demonstrating how Zots and Xoodles react when treated in different ways. As he exhibits the ever-changing capabilities of the Zots and turns them into Xoodles, some of the crowd ignores him, others bicker, and some disagree and dissipate while new members congregate. A child occasionally appears to ask insightful questions which get Theodil going again.

The scientific musings and biological sketches of this theoretical universal architect provides an entertaining take on the creation. It will leave the reader pondering their philosophical outlook on creation as a whole.

The writing style could be compared to a mixture of Cat in the Hat, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (which so happens to be one of my all-time beloved books), and Shakespeare. The approach is definitely unique and takes some getting used to.

A profound and thought-provoking statement made in the book is that even infinity is constricted to a time limit, although no one can truly predict that time limit, it does exist. I like that he points out that doing something without being creative actually cheapens the process for him. I believe we could all use a little creativity in our lives.

An introduction is made at the beginning of the book to better understand the author, who found out he was on the autism spectrum when he was around 40 years old already. His writing style reflects his eccentric thoughts and love of the unusual. The illustrator is also introduced, and amazingly, he is also on the autism spectrum and has been diagnosed as legally blind.

With zero profanity and no sexual content, this book is safe for all age groups; however, the advanced English used might not resonate with children or readers looking for a simple and fast book to peruse. I would recommend this book to readers looking for something interesting, extraordinary, and introspective to deliberate.

At a mere 48 pages (half of which are full-page illustrations or partial page drawings), this book can be consumed in less than an hour, but will probably leave you contemplating the content long after.

Impressively I only came across a single error, and even though this book might not be everyone’s cup of tea, I think it deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”