Review by Gathoni1991 -- Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Review by Gathoni1991 -- Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by Gathoni1991 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days Passed" by Mcentry Dunbar II.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tony and Brittany were childhood friends who later became childhood sweethearts. They were like two peas in a pod. They went everywhere together to the extent of Tony going on vacations with Brittany's family. Nothing seemed to come between their sweet innocent strong bond, not even their family's different economic statuses (Brittany came from a rich family, while Tony's family was a struggling middle class family). A tragedy hit Tony's family and they had to move from that particular town. When Brittany came back from vacation, she went to look for her sweetheart only to find him and his family gone without a trace. She finds out that her father knew what happened to Tony's family but he adamantly refuses to contact them for her sake. This in turn makes Brittany very mad and resentful towards her father. The sweet little girl grows into a reserved, bitter human being. Because of this, she messes up big when she is older. Tony on the other hand works extremely hard in his studies and shuts out everybody. Will Tony and Brittany ever meet again? Will Brittany forgive her father?

The book Days Passed is a roller coaster of emotions wrapped up in 226 pages. Although the language used is simple, the matters tackled are very weighty. To add onto that, the author spewed a lot of wisdom in the book, using the character of 'Jimmy'. This was the elderly friend of Tony. Narrated from the third person's point of view, the narrator was able to make the reader feel with and feel for the characters. The book was very relatable and the plot elements were very credible.

The story flowed smoothly with a 'soap opera' vibe to it. I loved how the author demonstrated the role of education in bettering a person's life. Education, eventually rewards well. The author demonstrated how women survive the cut-throat world of business, though they are deemed fragile beings. 'If/then' concept of love was a fresh perspective injected in the story.

The book majorly talks about second chances. It does not matter what ensued between two people, the author illustrated in the story how much of gold second chances are. Bitterness also featured heavily in the book. The author illustrated how bitterness, was like a person taking poison and expecting another person to die from it. Because of experiences people undergo, they are conditioned to be who they are at present. Mcentry Dunbar II (the author) writes,"Typically as children age into adults, they change. The world beats on them and they lose the spark of goodness they had as a child." The author also illustrated unresolved bitterness and how it blinded a person and impacted negatively in their actions and the decisions they make.

I loved the book I give it 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a perfect score because the plot was very simple. What I disliked about the book, was how the author depicted women as people who get ahead in business, by using their bodies as tools of trade. The book was definitely professionally edited as it had no mistakes. I would love to read the sequel. I recommend the book to lovers of romance novels as well as lovers of second chances stories.

Days Passed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”