Review by Ria710 -- That Guy What Kill Topsy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Review by Ria710 -- That Guy What Kill Topsy

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Guy What Kill Topsy" by Peter Wood Cotterill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Cotterill is a book that contains 16 short stories and a poem at the end. The book opens with the story of Lester. One day, Lester was speeding while taking his friends out. He lost control and hit the car into a tree. Topsy, his childhood friend, got killed while Topsy’s best friend Rowena fractured her pelvis. After three years of being in prison, he got out on parole. Lester gets threatened by Tommy who is Topsy’s brother. He reminds Lester how he will get revenge for his sister’s death.
Another story in the book called A Day Best Not Remembered follows the life of Megs and her daughter Tina. Megs doesn’t have a lot of money to provide food for her daughter and her disabled father at home. So, she resorts to getting food from the food banks instead. Once she’s at home she starts preparing their meal only to find out that her father has taken his own life. These are just a couple of the stories the book has to offer.
What I liked about the book was that the stories were short, this meant that it kept you interested and wanting to read more. Also, I liked that the author looked at a wide range of topics such as suicide, homelessness, divorce and many more. My favorite story out of them all would have to be That Guy What Kill Topsy. I immediately got hooked on to the story from reading the first couple of pages. I wished the story was longer as I would really like to know what happened to Lester after he got acid thrown on his face.
There are some things I didn’t like about the book. Firstly, there are some stories that I liked more than others. This is due to the fact that some stories I found were not that intriguing and some stories were quite confusing because there are so many characters. Secondly, I didn’t like that on some stories you are left hanging and asking many questions. I felt as though the first story ended abruptly. Also, at some points in the book, the perspective would go from first person to third person without any warning. And so, as a reader, I got very confused when reading. Finally, some of the stories were hard to follow than others. This is because since the stories are short there is no character development and so you don’t really understand the characters and relate to them.
Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because I think the idea of this book is unique and great but it was not carried out well. Throughout the whole book, I only found one mistake but since there is confusion in the perspectives at times, I would say this book is not professionally edited. I would not suggest this book to young readers because it does contain some sexual scenes. If you are someone that enjoys reading quick, short stories then maybe you should give this book a go.

That Guy What Kill Topsy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”