Review by Shabram22 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Review by Shabram22 -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shabram22 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Seattle Express, a ship, catches fire in the Gulf of Alaska in the middle of winter. The captain, Steve, has the crew attempt to put the fire out, but after understanding that the fire is too much for them to handle, he orders to abandon ship. The crew is set adrift on lifeboats at the mercy of the angry seas, hoping to be rescued from their sure death by starvation and hypothermia. One member of the crew is William, Myra's father. When Myra discovers that her father is lost somewhere at sea, she does everything she can to find him, dead or alive. Will she find him? Will she be too late?

Adrift by Charlie Sheldon is the sequel to the book Strong Heart . Even though this is the sequel, it is also great as a standalone book because the author briefly summarizes what happened in the first book through characters' stories and when introducing characters that were also in the prequel. But I also suspect that there will be a third book because the author left the story unfinished.

This book, unlike the first one, was more plot-driven than character-driven. Each chapter, however, was named after one of the characters and told their side of the story. The narration switched between first-person and third-person depending on which character the chapter was about. I have to say, since this book was more plot-driven, it was difficult at times to switch perspectives with each chapter. Especially at the beginning of the book, when I reached a new chapter, I had to stop for a few seconds and remember who this character was and where his story left off. This was a bit distracting.

What I liked most about the book was learning about ships and the tug boat business. I didn't know anything about sea travel before this story and I actually looked up some of the terms used to describe places and things on the ship. Also, in this book, we learn more about Native American culture, for example, how they pray. What I liked least, however, was that this book didn't finish the story of the first book and also left its own cliffhanger, which makes me really want to read on to finish the story of both books.

I recommend this book to people who like Native American stories and stories at sea. Although this follows the book Strong Heart, which I really loved, I was expecting to absolutely love this book as well. Unfortunately, I found that this book took me a much longer time to get through because it moved very slowly and I was anticipating that it would finish the story of the first book. I was disappointed to find out that I have to wait even longer. This and the confusion I had with characters makes me rate the book a 3 out of 4. I found only a few minor errors in this book, so I can say that it was professionally edited. I hope the next book comes out soon so that I can find out what happens to the main characters.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 603
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Designs of Destiny by Carol Purroy
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

I am also looking forward to the rest of the series. First, the wilderness in Washington. Now, the dangerous waters off Alaska. I wonder where Sheldon will take us next.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: No One Has More Love Than This... by Warren Robinson

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the concise way you summarized the book! The author did help readers learn quite a few things about sailing. I think there are quite a few of us waiting for the next installment! Thanks for your captivating review.

ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: The Art of Creating Story by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

It sounds as if we can get to know the characters well from their perspectives on this maritime adventure. I enjoyed your insightful review.

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 363
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: A Golfing Genius by John Atkinson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

The theme wherein the ship needs to be abandoned in the middle of wild seems quite thrilling read. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It'd be interesting to read different cultures, adventure in this book. Great review!

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Sister by Virginia Barlow

Post by gen_g »

I have seen many positive reviews of this book, and I must say that it seems intriguing. Thanks for the insightful review!

unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Ferret by L.K. Samuels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I read this book too, and I was also disappointed by some of the loose ends, especially what was going on with the cargo aboard the burned out ship. I didn't read the first book, so I enjoyed your comparisons between the two. Great review!
Latest Review: Ferret by L.K. Samuels

Gifted Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifted-soul.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Gifted Soul »

I'm really not into books on sea travel but I'm glad that you enjoyed the book.
Thanks!
Just do it!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Prisallen »

I read this book and enjoyed it immensely also. I look forward to the next one as well. Thanks for your review!

SomeoneInTheWorld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someoneintheworld.html
Latest Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Post by SomeoneInTheWorld »

This seems like an intriguing book. I'm curious to find out if Myra will find her father. Thanks for the great review!

Tavaiel26
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tavaiel26 »

Your review made me want to check out the first book in the series! Thanks!

Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Manali_DC »

Thank you for a great review! I read and liked Strong Heart, and I've been wondering if I should read the next in the series. Since this book seems to be more plot driven, maybe I will read it. A pity that the story does not end and we have to wait for the 3rd book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”