Review by Adaezeboltbethel -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adaezeboltbethel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaezeboltbethel.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by Adaezeboltbethel -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Adaezeboltbethel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign is a material I was eager to read. I have not had the best experiences with science fiction novels; however, I got drawn to this material because it has some good ratings. I found this book to be paranormal, romantic, and mysterious. Opaque is a material most young adults are likely to appreciate, but I can’t say the same for me.

The story is about 16-year old Adam Caspian. He had everything a normal child needs to survive; however, he could not seem to fit into the society he found himself. His only comfort is his mother; strangely, he is sexually attracted to her. Adam had some demons in him, and this darkness was about to eat him when he met a girl his age who changed his world.

This story was good; however, I found some things confusing.

Some of the things I love about this book include the creative imagination of the writer. The story was rich, and I could tell that the author did her findings. The characters were well developed, and I love the way Adam’s character evolved. This material was flawless.

As one who has little to no history with science fiction books, this material has me considering reading more science fiction novels. Not all science fiction novels are bad, after all.

The author did well to share the story behind this creation. I found this fact exciting, and it made me eager to read this material.

Unfortunately, I got confused at the beginning. This book came with different emotions, which I was not expecting. The description said it was a science fiction novel. I expected the story to be along that line. In the beginning, I got some paranormal vibes. While trying to get my head around it, the story went all lovey-dovey, and finally, we get into the science fiction part. I think there should have been a better way of arranging or sorting this book. I am in no position to tell an author how to tell their story; nevertheless, I think a reader is likely to be put off by the fact that the science fiction aspect started at about 60% into the book. This fact made the start of the book very slow, and the attitude of Adam made it difficult to like him, talk less of learning his story.

There were lots of up and down moments in this material that got me exhausted. It started at a slow pace, at 40% the pace picked, at 50% it came back down, and after 60% it became medium-paced, which transitioned once more into a fast-pace. Whew!

Carly is a sweet and likable character, but one decision she made changed everything for me. This event made the whole book unrealistic. Carley was ready to go to war because her father got kidnapped, yet she was quick to wave Adams’s secrets, one of which got an innocent girl killed. This story must be a joke!

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4. I like this story, and I do not mind reading the next book.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like the author has a couple of continuity problems, hopefully it will be addressed. Thanks for the review!
DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by DBNJ »

Whilst going through the review I realized that the author could have given more thought into the story line of the book. It is always a tedious task to put your imagination and though process into writing, especially, if it is a science fiction one which requires more imagination and out of the box thinking. Having said that, one must give credit to the author for coming up with a different plot. Thanks for the honest review! :tiphat:
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”