Review by tannus -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Review by tannus -- It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by tannus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Croatian Queen of Horror Novels”, Viktoria Faust is a famous name among Croatian horror and science fiction readers. It’s Hard to Be a Vampire is a collection of some of her short stories published by OnlineBookClub.org. Get ready to enter Faust’s spine-chilling spooky morbid world through this book.

This book is a collection of nine short stories with a central theme of tingling the neck of the reader in a hauntingly realistic way. The first story and also the title of the book, “It’s Hard to Be a Vampire” displays sadistically cynical humor in it. “Gallery of Horrors” is a story about an artist, who discovered an unusual procedure to achieve the pastel color of living flesh, to paint his breathing paintings.“The Invisible Ink” has a sister who is hanging on to the hope that her gone sister might still be alive somewhere, by filling an ink pen daily. “That Bloody Useless Bloodless Body!” is a story of a horror writer, who hates his critics but more than them hates his fans who fawn on him and his writings. I do not want to include any spoilers. But I am going to convey this, all 9 stories in the book, including a part two to “Gallery of horrors” are like different flavored candies in a single candy jar. They all are candies but each candy is unique in its flavor and sensation. So are the stories in the book.

I devoured the book. Some stories were way out of my comfort zone. But I enjoyed it anyway because of Faust’s writing style. Her writing is like a slow dance with a tease of twists and turns. Her writing does not focus on stacking suspense scenes, just for the sake of gasps. But it is more like weaving a dark horror world, in which you can’t help but get sucked into. I enjoyed this format and writing very much. It is gruesome but in a slowly beautiful skilled manner.

The book feels professionally edited as I didn’t find any errors that hindered my reading experience. Devout readers of this genre may find this book too short and not enough. And also, there is no specific order in arranging the stories as this just a collection of short stories of various topics. I did not have any problem with this book because I am still new to reading too dark books. For my limited taste, this is by far the chilling book I have read till now. A few topics are too harsh for young readers and sensitive people. There are various points in the book like Mary’s Deflowering or slaughtered Christ in Jan’s paintings that might feel like blasphemy to religious readers. Vampires might be against some people’s beliefs. If you are in doubt about it might hurt your religious sentiments just skip this book or else you might be mortified a few times.

I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Readers of the C/T/M/H genre will love this book. I would not recommend this book to religious people or young readers or sensitive readers for the above-mentioned reasons. If you are in search of a new horror writer, to quench your thirst of gory, give Faust’s books a try. I am positive, you won’t be disappointed by the works of “Queen of Croatian horror novels” herself.

It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”