Review by Bhaskins -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Sammy the Sea Serpent by Elayne Shore

Review by Bhaskins -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Bhaskins »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset is a story about how the author, Ace Bowers, went from janitor to Silicon Valley millionaire in a span of five years. The book begins by describing the way that Ace grew up. As a child, he was living in a home where people drank, yelled, and fought. He was often protected by an older sister who would bring him into her room and shield him as best she could from the yelling. After moving out Ace knew that college was not an option. Ace finds himself in debt but lands himself a job as a janitor. Once he discovers his girlfriend is pregnant he decides it’s time to turn his life around for good using what he calls “the mindset” or a way of thinking about where you want to be. Ace ends up with a high powered job, a family, and sorting out all the weight he had carried from childhood.

What I liked most about this book was how raw and honest it is. It’s very hard to expose years of childhood neglect and abuse. Ace did not shy away from explaining how he grew up, how he cared for his parents, how their choices impacted him, and how he wanted to be different. Despite coming from such a hard childhood Ace was able to see mental illness in his family and continue to foster relationships as best he could.

What I liked least was how repetitive the book was. There were several places where almost the exact same sentence would be written at the end of the paragraph and the same at the beginning of the next one. It felt like an attempt to transition between thoughts but reads as unpolished. There was also at least one instance where he would explain only a part of a story and it left feeling unsettled.

Overall I think this is a good book if you like to learn about people and a good “under-dog” type story. It might not be a good fit if you are sensitive to hearing descriptions of fighting or alcoholism as these are major themes in the book. This book was easy to read and quite enjoyable.

I give The Mindset3 out of 4 stars. This book could use some edits and polishing to bring it up to a 4. There is a powerful message here and I believe it needs to be heard. Many people could benefit from learning that their life circumstances can be changed and that with the power within our own thoughts can help that.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”