Review by Namaste23 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: The Stranger from the Sea by Victor Lana

Review by Namaste23 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Namaste23 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset, by Ace Bowers, is a raw and vulnerable memoir. Ace Bowers reveals his innermost feelings to the world through his book. While he endured neglect and pain throughout his childhood, he chooses to not let his experiences and situation define him or his family that he and his wife were creating. His story is truly inspirational as he could have easily chosen a much more destructive path for his life.

My favorite aspect of this book is how raw and honest it is. I think more people than not have a lot of damage they carry around from childhood. Most people ignore it and shove their feelings down. Ace Bowers does what most people are not able to and exposes his wounds for everyone to read. He decidedly breaks the cycle of his family trauma so that his children will not have to suffer the emotional pain passed down through the generations of his family. This book will help a lot of people who are too scared to talk about their childhood experience simply by knowing they are not alone.

My least favorite aspect of this book is all the abuse surrounding his life. His friend, mother, and brother are all affected by drug abuse. His mother and father abuse alcohol. His mother had to endure sexual and physical abuse. It's no wonder that Ace had to consciously decide to not become like his family. He had never been exposed to anything else. It is an amazing feat that he was able to change his life for the better and on top of that, he did it all by himself.

This book is definitely for a mature audience. There are a few profanities throughout this book and the issues he faced in childhood are not age-appropriate. I believe this book could also be triggering for people who have unresolved childhood trauma. Also, since this book is so raw and honest, it can be a downer at times, which some people do not enjoy.

I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. While I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, I found some editing issues. I also think the chapters might flow better if rearranged. The book as a whole seemed to jump around quite a bit. Other than that, I am glad the author chose to share his story. I am sure it will be helpful to the people who read it.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”