Review by writestuff -- We Drank Wine by Marion Reidel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Review by writestuff -- We Drank Wine by Marion Reidel

Post by writestuff »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We Drank Wine" by Marion Reidel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Drank Wine by Marion Reidel is a funny, sassy collection of short stories. They go down like a fine glass of wine and a chat with the girls. The stories are modern. They touch on relatable issues like parenting, with heartfelt stories of the choices parents' must make. Others are about the twists and turns of different relationships and fireman at a public pool, totally relatable. In these twenty-three stories you will find yourself or someone you know.

The story selection is made up of a collection of stories with realistic situations you can laugh about after a hard-days-work. As you read you notice a rare and hidden feature. Although each story is on its own and could stand on its own, they are all linked together to form a bigger story. The combination of short story and yet it's a novel, is great fun. The characters have their own unique voice and surroundings. They feel like rich, strong stories and not just odd pieces. I enjoyed "Bedtime Stories" and "We Drank Wine" the most. "Once Bitten" is really funny and reminded me of my own family. They made me wonder about people and their choices. I enjoyed being reminded how clever children sometimes are and how strange adults always are.

Some characters are heavily armed with f-bombs, so a warning to those who like a wholesome read. Further profanity is little and only used when it fits. I never felt uncomfortable reading any of the well written tales. There were characters I disliked, but not much I didn't like with the book itself.

I rate this read 4 out of 4 stars. The editing is well done. I would have liked one or two of the stories to be longer. Happily they are connected so it works out nicely. Every story seems carefully crafted to end on a note that gives pause for thought. The characters were even more realistic because they were unpredictable. Editing is done well and the layout is attractive.

This book is suited for those who like real-world stories, sprinkled with humor. They are perfect stories for readers who don't have as much time as they would have liked to read. This book is a perfect gift for even the choosy book lovers. This is a fine addition to any reading collection or bookshelf.

We Drank Wine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”