Review by Julius_ -- Eggstravagant Easter Eggs

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Gaza
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Review by Julius_ -- Eggstravagant Easter Eggs

Post by Julius_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Eggstravagant Easter Eggs" by Maya Elston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eggstravagant Easter Eggs: Over 200 Ideas for Artistic Looking Eggs by Maya Elston is a non-fiction self-help book with a step-by-step guide on the professional painting of the Easter Eggs.

It is divided into seventeen parts. The first part, Choice of Eggs, lists different types of eggs including plastic eggs, wooden and edible ones. The second part, Materials, Tools and Equipment, details all the equipment needed in the decorations of the Easter eggs. The third part, Methods and Decorating Techniques, provides procedures involved in egg decorations, including how to empty and seal the eggs. From part four to part seventeen provide different decorations.

Maya Elston is a graduate of the Department of Monumental Paintings at the National Academy of Arts in Sofia. She was also a member of the Union of Bulgarian Artists in Sofia and even chaired the Mosaic section. All these qualifications are reflected in this book through the excellent artistic work of egg painting.

I liked that the author includes several colorful eggs in the book. At each stage of the painting, she adds photos of how the eggs should look like. I also like that the book’s tone is so real and realistic. Although she’s qualified in the artistic work, she confesses that she isn’t that good at some activities, such as emptying the eggs. She also encourages readers not to worry when the eggs don’t appear as expected. Since I only found two grammatical errors, this book was well edited.

Although this book was well written, I didn’t like some aspects. First, the tone of the book wasn’t interactive. The author seems to be exclusively directing the readers on what to do, as opposed to giving them options and giving them a free space to explore and come up with their own models. The models were rigid and already determined. If only she could take some chapters to teach the readers how to come up with their own styles instead of teaching them to make her own styles and some other traditional styles, I think the book would have been more appealing. The author has recommended specific brands of materials. She also recommends specific shops, both online and physical shops. I feel like the book was, among other functions, meant to be used as a marketing strategy for some companies and businesses.

To conclude, this was a nice guide to those interested in egg painting. I, therefore, rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I’ve deducted one star because the author was rigid in her style. I recommend this book to everyone who celebrates the Easter holiday and takes part in egg painting. Since the paintings are primarily meant to be used during the Easter holiday celebrations, those who don’t celebrate this holiday, especially those who are not Christians, may not fully appreciate the art.

Eggstravagant Easter Eggs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

gen_g
Currently Reading: The Duke Of Hell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Sister by Virginia Barlow

Post by gen_g »

I don't celebrate Easter, but this book seems like a good introduction, especially if one requires a crash course in egg-painting! Thanks for the insightful review.

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Faithmwangi »

Thanks for the clear and honest review. Unfortunately, I don't think I will give it a try.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Dyed Souls
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Girl with the Flat Tire by Leon Loy

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I’ve read the initial sample of this one and taken a look at some of the lovely photos. I’ll be saving this one for closer to Easter! Thanks for the review.

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Blue Bias
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Two Once Removed by Jeffrey Curry

Post by MsH2k »

I sampled this book and loved the beautiful designs. I appreciate your insight on it being rigid. I just liked looking at the pictures. I don’t think I will try my hand at any of these. Thanks for your thoughtful review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: 7 1/2 Habits To Help You Become More Humorous, Happier & Healthier by David Jacobson

Post by kandscreeley »

I can understand how you'd want to have the author teach you to make your own styles. Still, the images sound amazing. I haven't looked at it yet, but I should. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Untold Deception
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Spirit Sword by Sam Ford
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

I have a friend who makes these. I've watched her, and it really is a very detailed and uncompromising art. One slip of the brush and the egg is either ruined or doesn't turn out like you wanted even if it is pretty. It's not like you can just wipe the paint off. I think in some ways, because of this, the author's rigid writing style might have been appropriate. I don't think I'll be reading this one, but thanks for your honest review!

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I love it when the author uses objects to teach things. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Kanda_theGreat
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Coincidentally, this happens to be my latest review and I concur with you that the author needs to go back to the drawing board and evaluate the recommendations given by various reviewers.
Thanks for he review.
Bet on Me!

LeDiplomatique
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of the Oneironauts by Christopher Zuchowicz

Post by LeDiplomatique »

You really dissected the book well. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks a lot.

Shabram22
Currently Reading: Breaking the Chain
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Guidebook of How to Obtain Pureness of Heart Required to Enter Heaven by J. Phillips Crute

Post by Shabram22 »

I don't celebrate Easter so I won't be picking up this book but I do like that she sshares step-by-step pictures so readers can follow exactly as she teaches. Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”