Review by Kanda_theGreat -- Eggstravagant Easter Eggs

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Review by Kanda_theGreat -- Eggstravagant Easter Eggs

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Eggstravagant Easter Eggs" by Maya Elston.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston is a procedural book with 200 ideas of how to design Easter eggs. Elston's ideas are practical as they have all been tried and tested. She has personally designed most of the designs in this book and found methods easy enough for anyone else to try. Her academic knowledge on artistic works has informed most of the procedures found in this book. From the information provided at the end of the book, Elston graduated from the Department of Monumental Paintings at the National Academy of Arts in Sofia, Bulgaria. She has worked as Associate Conservator for the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities at the J. Paul Getty Museum in Malibu. She has traveled abroad to lecture, published extensively about her projects, and co-wrote a book on Greek vases published by the J. Paul Getty Museum. These experiences have not only informed the content of her book, but also fuelled her desire to share her knowledge with everybody across the world.

Eggstravagant Easter Eggs contains an introduction and 17 chapters- each containing different ways of designing an Easter egg. In the introduction, she gives background information about the reasons she believes informs peoples' love for Easter eggs. She has further gone ahead to tell us about how her family would prepare Easter eggs on the Thursday before Easter.

Chapter one begins by advising readers on what they should look out for in the choice of eggs. The varieties to choose from include: chicken eggs(boiled eggs or empty shells) and artificial eggs made of wood or plastic. She attests to the fact that boiled eggs are an excellent choice because they can still be consumed should the procedure fail to succeed. Chapter two suggests the materials, tools and equipment that may be needed to prepare and decorate the eggs, while chapter three includes the methods and decorating techniques. Chapter four all the way to the last chapter includes the various types of Easter eggs according to their designs and materials used to design them.

Elston accompanied her procedural writings with colourful pictures; the pictures gave examples of each sample she suggested and some were detailed enough to present how an egg would appear in each level in the procedure all the way to the end product. Since some of the procedures were invented by Elston, it did the book enough justice to include pictures of what a reader should expect as an end product. I believe the strength of the book lies in the inclusion of the drawings, because they not only complimented the presentation of her ideas to the reader, but also went ahead to break the monotony of narration.

However, I also found the placement of the pictures in some chapters to be very distracting and misleading. For instance, on page 34, she described an image as containing 25 eggs, which she had given to her friends, whereas the image only contained three eggs and an additional design of the material used to design the eggs. On page 36, she describes the image as containing black and white eggs, yet the black and white eggs are found on page 34. Moreover, on page 34, she describes an image as containing the side and top view of a finished rooster, yet the image is that of silver fish, whose description is in page 45. I, therefore, had a problem navigating to and fro in the document I received for review, in a bid to place the images in their immediate contexts.

The issues mentioned above are what I did not like about the book. What proved to be an interesting text in the beginning ended up being a very boring book because of the jumbled up pictures. I believe the book was not professionally edited, otherwise, the mistakes would have been detected and corrected by an experienced editor. I am unfortunately left with no otherwise but to rate the book one out of four stars. The book cannot appeal to Muslim readers, Indian readers or readers of other religions, whose faith does not include the concept of Easter. At the moment, I cannot recommend it to any reader because I believe the correct placement of the pictures is an essential element in making the book helpful to readers.

Eggstravagant Easter Eggs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bet on Me! :idea:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

So sorry that a promising book turns out to be a boring one with so many editing issues. The idea behind the book is very interesting tho. Thank you for a great and honest review!
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Ellylion wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 07:06 So sorry that a promising book turns out to be a boring one with so many editing issues. The idea behind the book is very interesting tho. Thank you for a great and honest review!
I hope the editor will consider the recommendations I have suggested.
Thanks for passing by.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Its a shame that the errors were not detected earlier. I might circle back to the book after the corrections are made. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Faithmwangi wrote: 25 Feb 2020, 00:38 Its a shame that the errors were not detected earlier. I might circle back to the book after the corrections are made. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for passing by.💫
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I'm glad to read this book through someone else's eyes. I'm glad we reviewed the same book. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Julius_ wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 06:14 I'm glad to read this book through someone else's eyes. I'm glad we reviewed the same book. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for the kind words.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

The title and cover of this book appear promising. I hope the ideas it promises are not lost as a result of the errors identified therein. Thanks for the sincere review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I am sorry that the picture placement was a disappointment and disruption. Thank you for your honest review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that the book has some organizational issues. Otherwise, it seems like a great book to at least look through. Thanks for your assessment.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Nkoo wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 15:57 The title and cover of this book appear promising. I hope the ideas it promises are not lost as a result of the errors identified therein. Thanks for the sincere review.
Thank you for taking time to read and comment on my review.
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

MsH2k wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 16:30 I am sorry that the picture placement was a disappointment and disruption. Thank you for your honest review.
I'm grateful for your comment.
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 18:18 It's too bad that the book has some organizational issues. Otherwise, it seems like a great book to at least look through. Thanks for your assessment.
Another round of editing will set the book well on its course to appeal to a greater audience.
Thank you for your comment.
Jyockel08
Currently Reading: EMP honeymoon: kelly & tom
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyockel08.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jyockel08 »

I ended up trying to track pictures that go to the correct text and then I’m distracted and forget where I was. Thank your for the honest and detailed review.
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Jyockel08 wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 15:09 I ended up trying to track pictures that go to the correct text and then I’m distracted and forget where I was. Thank your for the honest and detailed review.
I really appreciate your comment on my review.💫

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”