Review by Miss_BeckyG -- East Wind, 2nd edition

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miss_BeckyG
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 746
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Review by Miss_BeckyG -- East Wind, 2nd edition

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

[Following is a volunteer review of "East Wind, 2nd edition" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I picked East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick for review, I was looking forward to a narration of a terrorist attack and the hunting of the perpetrators by authorities. Once I got reading, I realized what a treat the book was. The author delivered more than I expected. The book is a fantastic action-packed thriller that kept me intrigued to the last page.

The story starts out with one of the victims just before the first bomb goes off, levelling the Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles. Mr. Winnick piques the reader's interest right there. Enter Uri Levin, the Mossad agent assigned to work with the FBI in tracking the terrorists. Uri has experience in covert missions, and had provided key information from one of his missions, hence the recommendation to work on the case. Lara Edmond is the FBI computer whiz who cracked the communication channel used by the terrorists. She and Uri are tasked with establishing who the Hezbollah operatives are and cracking their plans.

The author introduces the protagonists and antagonists, giving sufficient back story of each character. Walid, the Pakistani computer science student and Hossein, the Iran national whose postgraduate knowledge in nuclear engineering is key, are at the forefront in delivering Hezbollah's wrath on the USA. From the Marina explosion to finding out the perpetrators plans of blowing up more bombs in different American cities, unless the USA ceases aid to Israel, the story keeps the reader guessing. Will the terrorists win? Will Israel have to deploy Ekdikeo or will Uri and Lara's team save the day?

Being the first book I have read by the author, I am truly impressed by his skills. Mr. Winnick spins the story with ease, drawing the reader on. He changes the character's view-point seamlessly without leaving the reader hanging. That gave the story perspective from the authorities and terrorist's angles. Not only did the story flow well, but I learnt a lot about Israel, the Middle East struggle, America's part in the liberation of Israel, and a host of other historical facts.

From the story I was able to get a glimpse of how terrorist networks work, from recruitment of followers to instigating attacks. This was eye-opening and it honestly shook me. Living at a time when the world has been witness to the works of al-Qaeda, Hezbollah and different terrorist groups, we can appreciate the work authorities do in thwarting the reckless killing of innocent people.

The book is not all about investigations and fighting terrorism. Mr. Winnick softens the narrative by including romance between Uri and Lara. The two agents experience a shared attraction that blossoms with time. I was only happy to read about their dinner dates as a break from the tension of hunting terrorists. This also served as an inkling into the author's writing prowess.

Due to some of the violence mentioned in the story, the book would not be suitable to young readers or people who abhor gory scenes. There are subtle nuances of sexual attraction and one erotic scene that is not explicit in nature. Bearing these facts in mind, a mature audience will be best suited to read the book. A good job was done on the editing as there were few grammatical errors. I have no qualms awarding East Wind a 4 out of 4 stars rating. For readers who enjoy this book and the satisfying ending, be sure to check out the next books in the series.

East Wind, 2nd edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
If a story touches you it will stay with you, haunting the places in your mind that you rarely ever visit.
–Neil Gaiman

Twylla
2019 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Dimes From Heaven by Monica L. Morrissey
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Excellent review! It was interesting to see how the leaders of Hezbollah recruited and indoctrinated young men to their cause. The Jihadists inspired a strong sense of purpose in the boys. Interesting study in psychology!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Unforseen
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Live Your Purpose by Rick Heyland

Post by kdstrack »

I loved your enthusiasm about the author's writing style. This looks like an interesting series, and I am looking forward to reading this book with its intriguing blend of terrorism and romance. Great review! Thanks for the recommendation.

Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Post by Fernando222 »

I also agree. Jack Winnick has a unique way of presenting a massively overwhelming plot. Your review is quite detailed.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”