Review by Kanda_theGreat -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Review by Kanda_theGreat -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington is a book set in a fictional Iberian Empire, ruled by Emperor Constatine. The plot of the story revolves around a soldier, Andreas Marset, the main protagonist. Marset has distinguishing abilities that are considered unique for his "bastard" kind- an Arpathian race considered the lowest social class. The Iberian aristocracy was intrigued by Marset's exemplary performance in the military entry exams. He scores the highest scores, which have never been attained before. To confirm his intellectual capacity, he is subjected to more academic essays, which he further excels in at a tender age of seventeen years old.

Emperor Constatine also considers himself a "bastard". Although he is an Iberian by birth, he has been brought up in a low social class. His manner of speaking suggested thus, because he frequently uses a lot of slang and profane words, while addressing his subjects. Constatine believes that his legitimate sons are not capable enough to inherit the throne after he dies. He then conspires with his daughter and concubine to seduce Marset into impregnating Isabella, Constatine's illegitimate daughter whom he has sired with the Crone, his concubine. Will Marset give in to their demands? What lays ahead of the "bastard" soldier in a military characterized by rampant racist practices? Will he survive the deadly missions that he is sent to accomplish?

Penington's vivid descriptions of the characters and geographical topography of each setting, avidly enhanced his plot line. He assigned certain characteristics to a place, which performed the task of completely transporting me from the real world to a world of reality. The exceptional personality traits of his characters such as telepathy and psionipathy is also commendable, as it allowed the author to create an absolutely different social construction, free from conventional influences. Although the characters were assigned similar ideological beliefs and behavioural mannerisms, their ambitions and desires in life is what distinguishes them from other races. This investment in character development is what considerably places the book above other sci-fi novels.

The thematic concerns that dominated the plot included but not limited to: racism, political conquests and administration, extravagance lifestyle, murder, social manipulation, illicit sexual affairs, friendship and betrayal among others. The medium-pace of the novel provided enough space and time for Penington to develop his novel, without distracting the reader. I believe that besides literary entertainment, the author was interested in showcasing what happens in a typical society. He tried to make the issues addressed in the novel as relatable as possible, much as some aspects in the book are purely fictional.

I didn't find anything that I disliked about the book. Moreover, I applaud the author's extensive research evident in the book. Although it is filled with a lot of curse words and profanity, I'm inclined to believe that the words were relevant in revealing the character traits of different characters and singling them out from the rest. I found few grammatical errors, which I believe can be corrected with another round of editing. I also recommend the inclusion of a glossary at the end of the book, for terms such as "psionipath", whose definition I had to thoroughly research elsewhere for me to relate the characteristic trait of Marset with the definitions I found attributed to the word. With that in mind, I, therefore, rate the book three out of four stars. Readers interested in violent actions will enjoy this book. However, some murder scenes are graphically described and may prove distracting to conservative readers.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bet on me!✊

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've also read this book. I agree with you that it's an interesting one. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It sounds like a great sci-fi novels with a tint of friendship, betrayal and murder. Your review was very nice.

Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

xoxoAnushka wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 11:45
It sounds like a great sci-fi novels with a tint of friendship, betrayal and murder. Your review was very nice.
thank you for the kind words.
Bet on me!✊

Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Julius_ wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 01:33
I've also read this book. I agree with you that it's an interesting one. Thanks for the review.
thank you for the kind words.
Bet on me!✊

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: The Kanan Doom Rage Girls by James Westly

Post by Tomah »

I've heard good things about the novel, but I didn't know about the wealth of themes it explores. It certainly makes me more interested in it. Thanks for the review!

Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Tomah wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 14:12
I've heard good things about the novel, but I didn't know about the wealth of themes it explores. It certainly makes me more interested in it. Thanks for the review!
I'm grateful for the kind words.
Bet on me!✊

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Faithmwangi »

I have also had the chance to go through this read. I enjoyed its twists and turns especially at the ending. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Faithmwangi wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 03:51
I have also had the chance to go through this read. I enjoyed its twists and turns especially at the ending. Thanks for the review.
I appreciate your taking time to pass by and comment on my review.💫
Bet on me!✊

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”