Review by Michelle Fred -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by Michelle Fred -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Michelle Fred »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset is a memoir written by Ace Bowers. It details his journey from a traumatic childhood to a minimum wage-earning janitor and ultimately, a millionaire through hard work and sheer determination. As a child, Ace saw his parent's abuse alcohol and fight every other night. One time, his mother had a close call with death. Still, it didn't deter her from continuing in her old ways. His parent's drinking habits and poor money management skills meant that they were always out of money and living from hand to mouth. As a way of coping with the troubles in his home, Ace developed a few unsavoury habits and made some bad decisions that would later hamper his progress.

At first, I wasn't sure if this book is a memoir or a motivational book. But, as I read further, I realized that it is a memoir written in a motivational book format. The crux of his story is that anyone can succeed regardless of their past. Because of his family's financial situation, he didn't go to college. So, he knew that he had to work extra hard if he wanted to get a foot in the door of the competitive job market. Through a mindset shift, resilience and a great work ethic, he changed the trajectory of his life for good.

Although Ace iterated how his parent’s constant fighting affected him as a child, and even as an adult, he appreciates that they came through for him at the lowest point in his life. After the birth of his first child, his parents convinced him to quit his janitorial job in Oregon and move his young family back to California to live with them. Back in California, his mum took care of his son so he and his wife could work without worrying about a babysitter or daycare. His gratitude for the kindness shown to him by family and friends is my favourite aspect of the book.

However, I didn’t like that he mentioned his experiences as a child who had to grow up too fast so many times. I would have favoured an in-depth account of his career ladder climb. He broached the topic, though, but I would have preferred a detailed elaboration.

Overall, writing this book is the author's way of encouraging its readers in tough situations that the storm shall pass; with the right mindset and hard work. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I like the author's writing style; its simplicity and clarity made the book a joy to read. Though I encountered a few unusual phrases, still, I can tell the editing has a professional touch.

Ace's story is inspiring, so I would recommend this book to everyone. However, people that had a traumatic childhood will relate the most to his memoir. The story would serve as a great guide for young adults trying to navigate through life.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”