Review by Sam567+ -- The Second American Revolution:

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam567+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam567.html
Latest Review: The Second American Revolution: by Liberty Nation

Review by Sam567+ -- The Second American Revolution:

Post by Sam567+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Second American Revolution:" by Liberty Nation.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is my review of the book "The Second American Revolution" by Liberty Nation. I had never heard of the brand Liberty Nation before reading this book. This book is a 3 part classification of the state of social media, news media and technology right now in the beginning of 2020. "Digital Evolution", "Privacy Lost", and "A Question of Narrative" are the three different topics that covers everything from what technology can do to our children and teen's brains and social adaptations. Is 5G a health risk? To whether Amazon is listening and recording every conversation or is Facebook too involved in our personal lives. The final part covers who will decide what the actual rules of free speech are and what social media companies or governments will decide who will be able to use their free speech on their platform. Led by the president and founder of Liberty Nation, Tim Donner, he collaborates with 12 other authors to give a breakdown of every aspect of "the mega power that technology would wield over every aspect of our lives."

As a whole I would give this book a 2 out of 4 stars. It was a quick read. And the short chapters became slightly repetitive in each part. As a person who is skeptical of most media and the actual motives of the social media giants, this book was appealing to me. I found the Introduction to be a scare tactic type and maybe a bit of a commercial to tune in to Liberty Nations website. As we are all aware of the "fake news" accusations fully in our society now, I found it to be a pull for the conspiracy folks to be lured in.

I did enjoy several things about this book also. If you were completely unaware of the dangers of technology and you picked up this book, you would have a good idea why there is room for concern. I think that the book brings a good awareness to the concern that our generation of children and teens have a very different aspect to their lives with giant social media companies in them. As has been proven from the past, many giant corporations do not have the best interest of the general public at their heart. The first part very fully goes over some major concerns for the general public. Also, part two covers in great detail how we as a society have invited these same corporations into our homes to listen for the sake of convenience. And the most concerning part to me, part three that brings up issues that we are dealing with in these very times about free speech and who gets to decide what public forums can be truly "free speech". In a time of many contentious opinions on both sides of the isle, it is a major topic of concern right now.

It is clear this book is to discuss technology and the power it holds over our society. And who can stop it? It is worldwide and influences nearly every single person on this planet. With the incoming new and more powerful internet services, will we even be able to escape fully from the world wide webs pull for even a little while? This book will appeal to the audience that questions the motives of the big names in the social media world. Or maybe it will appeal to the person who feels that they may not be getting the whole story on their local TV station. Maybe your child has seen something on "kids channel" on a major internet site that made you question who let that through the system? There is nothing wrong with questioning the main stream and what the is the deal behind all of it. This book would help you to start looking.

Tim Donner certainly has many platforms himself as explained in the book. But if you are looking for a quick read to think about the future and what it holds for you and your family, this would be a good introduction. It may lead you to explore the possibilities or may make you want to find a bunker and start saving supplies. I would suggest reading and keeping in mind to be aware of the possibility of change that can happen with awareness that you are part of the solution. An overall informational book, that may not appeal to all audiences of political spectrum. "Liberty once lost is lost forever" ~John Adams

The Second American Revolution:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”