Review by Miller56 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Review by Miller56 -- Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Australian men, who have been friends since grammar school, continue a lifetime of friendship and adventure after their university days. Sam, Daniel, Alec, and Etyan (assumed to be the fourth person) become men through one-week getaways that physically test them. The trips allow them to be macho, yet childish at the same time. At the end of the adventure week each man returns to his everyday life of family, work, and responsibility. Man Mission by Eytan Uliel walks the reader through each of the fifteen one-week getaways and provides insight into the lives of each of the men.

The book is a well written, exciting story that is packed with adventure. It focuses on the child in each of us and the yearning to stay young. It also reflects how we all view ourselves as we age. Our hearts and minds say we are young and can do anything and our bodies say something else. It is also a story of the realities of life and the changes that occur as we mature both physically and in our life situations. It touches on the realities of work, family, loneliness, joy, and heartbreak. Each character goes through similar situations at different times in their lives. They all think they are alone in their thoughts and situations, but they find out that they all are experiencing the same things.

The man missions allow them to experience beautiful locations that are vividly described by the author. The descriptions allow the reader to feel like they are on the mission trips, as each location, activity, and local cuisine is described. I felt that the author did an excellent job of drawing the reader into the scenarios. The male characters were well developed, and it was easy to feel their excitement on the trips, but also to feel their inner suffering for some of the life situations that were discussed. My favorite part of the book was the adventure stories. I found myself wanting to go on some of these treks just for fun.

My least favorite part of the book was the language. I felt that many of the cuss words were unnecessary and did not add to the book. I also felt that the women characters, although peripheral to the story, helped to mold the characters and maybe played a much larger role in the story than they were given. The main character (unnamed in the book) also seemed to struggle with being happy or finding any type of happiness. Although this may be an accurate portrayal it sometimes made the book seem depressing around the adventures.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes an adventure story. It is appropriate for young adults and up, both men and women. There is a lot of cursing in the book which may be inappropriate for teens and younger readers. I would also recommend this book to anyone who believes that life is always perfect and fun since the book discusses the daily routines and struggles of life. I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the language. I did not see any grammatical or spelling errors.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I agree that these stories make the reader want to go on these trips - it sounds like fun. I also agree that the narrator's struggles seemed to interrupt the flow of the piece. If the piece was written to amuse, then spending this much time on his personal life was a bit of a failure, although it does broaden the scope of the book somewhat. It didn't bother me personally, but I felt that it would seem out of place to someone who had purchased the book with the intent of learning about traveling in all these places. Nice review on this hilarious book!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”