Review by JoyALB -- Eggstravagant Easter Eggs

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor

Review by JoyALB -- Eggstravagant Easter Eggs

Post by JoyALB »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Eggstravagant Easter Eggs" by Maya Elston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eggstravagant Easter Eggs, authored by Maya Elston, aims to bring out the artistic side of the reader, specifically for Easter egg decorating. Filled with ideas, techniques and detailed illustrations, this book has the potential to turn anyone into an Easter eggtavist.

The witty title is what first drew me to this book. It not only rolls off the tongue so easily, it also perfectly explains the subject matter. The cover photo is beautiful and again demonstrates what the book is all about.

From the very first chapter, you will notice that the author is trying to cover all basis to ensure she gives the reader the best of what Easter egg decorating has to offer. She starts out by mentioning the different eggs that can be used. This was quite a fascinating read for me, because I did not know these options existed. All I knew about Easter eggs is that it is made of chocolate. Turns out, it can also be made of wood. These are of course NOT edible.

The second chapter is a bit of a drag and possibly the most boring part of this book. Named Materials, Tools, and Equipment, it is extremely detailed. However, I think it is quite important you read through it carefully (especially if you are seriously interested in Easter egg decorating) as it contains information about the tools required, as well as where you can purchase them.

Candy-style eggs (Chapter 4) is short and, in my humble opinion, possibly the easiest technique displayed in this book. I, however, loved chapter 7, which gives a detailed explanation on how to decoupage an egg. I giggled a bit at the irony in chapter 12, where Maya shows how you can decorate an egg to look like a chicken.

I rate Eggstravagant Easter Eggs 3 out of 4 stars. The pictures inside are great and the author did an amazing job of explaining everything that she did. She even mentions some of her mistakes and how the reader can avoid these. I believe the book is also edited, as I found only minor, almost unnoticible, mistakes. However, there were a few times I had to look up a word because they specifically related to this craft. An example is 'tempera'. Perhaps a bibliography would have been helpful.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and I would definitely give a few of these techniques a try. I recommend it to anyone interested in decorating Easter eggs, or if you are looking for something new and fun to try.

Eggstravagant Easter Eggs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”