Review by silvafaerie -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
silvafaerie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvafaerie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by silvafaerie -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by silvafaerie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign is a fantasy, young adult, coming-of-age story that puts you on the edge of your seat. The book addresses the difficult issues of love, loyalty, and inner darkness. It tells the story of a young man who feels he is going down a dark path but chooses a way to the light.

Adam is a troubled young man who just turned 16. He constantly wrestles with anger and inappropriate thoughts of lust and hate. He feels conflicted and unsure of his role in life. He worries this will only continue for the worse until he meets Carly. Carly comes into his life as a transfer student in his school. Adam has always felt different from his peers, but he never knew why. When Carly comes into his life, she reveals what is different about him and gives him her unconditional love and acceptance.

Carly explains to him that he is part of a secret line of Russians with mutant genes. For centuries they have been hunted by the Iksha, evil scientists who hope to harness the powers of the mutants for themselves. Each descendant of the bloodline has unique and impressive abilities. Carly must guide Adam in his quest to discover and control his new powers. They also must protect themselves from those who would use their powers for destruction.

I loved this book. The first third was used for setting up the story and getting to know the main characters of Adam and Carly. There is a heavy emphasis on his home life and the issues that he is struggling with. You don’t know where the story is going until about halfway through. However, the second half of this book was impossible to put down. All I wanted was to know what was going to happen next. The descriptions are incredibly vivid, and the story is captivating. You start to root for Adam, even though at the beginning of the book he comes off as a borderline psychopath.

It is difficult to say what I liked most about this book. I loved all of it! The characters were complex and intriguing. The narrative was well-paced and imaginative. I felt a connection to the characters because their emotions were so accurate and their struggles completely human. What I disliked most about the book was the slow beginning. The first third of the book was mostly character building. I would have liked to know more about the overall story. This might deter some readers.

I am giving this book a 4 out of 4. There are very few errors in the book and the erotic content is kept to a minimum. There are profanities but they are few and far between. I think it would appeal to young adults who are going through similar teenage years struggles of feeling lonely or different. I also think that this book would appeal to avid fantasy readers who are looking for a new story. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like a great book. It sounds like Adam goes through a huge character development and I like such books. Thanks for the great review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A fantasy, young adult, coming-of-age story which focuses on Adam who is a young man with troubled thoughts seems to be quite interesting read. Thanks for your honest review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
silvafaerie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvafaerie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by silvafaerie »

Thanks for reading my review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”