Review by derialist -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by derialist -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by derialist »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his book Burn Zones: Playing life’s bad hands, author Jorge P. Newberry tells an account of the triumphs and defeats he endured in the course of his life in what he refers to as burn zones – reasonably brief periods of remarkable effort that sets apart winners from losers – in a flowing narration of determination and disregard for the status quo. His passion for business started at a tender age of 11 when Jorge purchased an ice-cream trike from Chris; he acquired the trike using money he had been saving up from his earlier job, which he started at the age of 7, delivering newspapers to neighboring residences.

His bold and unrelenting nature would see the author become a busboy at the age of 13, which he would have to juggle together with schoolwork. He also quit high school to chase his dream of owning a record company while in his teens. At the age of 17, the author had worked with various artists and realized his dream as a successful record mogul.

I was captivated by how the author managed to stay calm and collected even when things were going awry. At one point, when his Woodland Meadows acquisition proved to be troublesome, which consequently led him to financial death and riddled with debt, he had the option of filing for bankruptcy. However, the author chose the unpopular choice of not filing for bankruptcy because of an inherent belief he could make good out of a bad situation.

One thing I liked about the book shockingly has nothing to do with the book but everything to do with the author. His steadfast, loyal, and caring nature is hard to be missed by the reader as the story progresses. Weirdly, his essence could be felt in his words; His turmoil would conjure up feelings of uneasiness within me, and his triumphs would inspire awe and gratitude on his behalf. I'm glad the author shared his experiences in such an entrancing manner.

I found the author's writing style to be consistent with minimal inflections that would make it dull on some occasions, but the story more than makes up for the shortcoming. It was overall an engaging and exciting book to read. I must have come across the use of obscene words once or twice throughout the book. There was nothing overtly sexual, but there is mention of a strip club; I found it to be largely suggestive.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was immaculately written. I did not come across any grammar errors or typos. It was also interesting, inspiring, and deeply engaging. I would love to read more books by the author, and I'd encourage more people to read it especially lovers of non-fiction books. I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers because of its complexity and use of obscene words.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I'm about to start reading this book, and your review was quite encouraging. I can't wait to start reading - thank you for an insightful review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”