Review by Ria710 -- Ana by Gary Hope

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Ria710 -- Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ana" by Gary Hope.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ana by Gary Hope is a romantic book about a guy who goes by the pen name, Noah. He works as a newspaper columnist for the Salt Lake City Tribune and lives in a two-bedroom condo in Moab. Noah meets Ana online (her pen name) and immediately he gets interested in her. Noah and Ana communicate by sending each other emails every day. Even though Noah has never met Ana or knows her real name or where she lives, he seems to be in love with her. One day Noah goes on a hiking trip and there he meets Dorothy, a park ranger, who was their leader for that hike. Eventually, Noah starts catching feelings for Dorothy as he realizes that he can’t stop thinking about her. This leaves Noah in a difficult situation; he now has to decide between a woman he met online and doesn’t know a lot about or a woman he met in real life. Who will he pick?

There are some things that I didn’t like about this book. Firstly, the book is very slow, the first 9 chapters are very repetitive, Noah wakes up, answers some questions for his column, then goes out to eat, comes home, sleeps and does everything again the next day. Due to the slow start of the book, I felt that if I was not to do a review on this book then I would have stopped reading the book 3 or 4 chapters in.

Secondly, every chapter contains the questions that Noah gets for his column from people and the response that he writes back, the number of questions written in the book can range from 3 to 10 or more. For the first couple of chapters, I didn’t mind it because it was interesting to read the type of questions he gets sent. However, there are questions and answers written in almost every chapter, even some chapters were just dedicated to just the questions and answers. This I felt was very unnecessary considering the questions itself did not relate to the actual story. It got to a point where I just skimmed through them because it disrupted the flow of the story.

What I did like about this book is the idea of the story is unique and not like your typical romance story. Also, I’m glad I gave the book a chance and I didn’t give up reading it because halfway through, the book became a page-turner. Noah’s relationship with both women was getting more deeper and I found that I was unable to put it down. I think the author did an amazing job with the second half of the book as it was more fast-paced and it was getting intense.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was very slow, to begin with, but once you get past that it becomes an amazing book. I found 3 mistakes in the entire book, one was a formatting error, another one was a missing word in a sentence and the last error was a typo. Regardless of this, I’d say the book was professionally edited. The book does contain references to sex so I would not recommend to young readers. I think this book would be perfect for young adults.

Ana
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”