Review by Ladydawn103 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ladydawn103
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladydawn103.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by Ladydawn103 -- Illustrated Short Fiction of Wi...

Post by Ladydawn103 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles is a grand collection of thirty-three shirt stories, two graphic novels, and a novella. Each story is beautifully written, no matter how long or short. This book did take me longer than usual to read. Each story is so detailed, this made some stories hard to read at times. Dilemma is about suicide, making the details very gruesome. Clouds is a sad story; it made me cry. I felt so many emotions reading these beautifully told stories. The novella has the same theme as the short stories, loss, love, and family.

I happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved almost every story. Quite a few of these stories were sad. There are stories of lost love, some of loss, some of yearning for love, some about new life; one for every emotion. There are also some stories that have taboo subjects like child sex trafficking or pregnancy loss. A celebration or tragedy for every stage of life. As I mentioned before, these stories are finely detailed; even if it was only a page and a half, I was there, beside these characters.

The illustrations that go with each story, show a lot of foreshadowing, which I love. Since some of these stories left a lot to the imagination, when they ended, the pictures helped me make up more of the story. I wish some of these stories were longer, a slight down side of short stories. The graphic novels were two of the short stories from the collection, adding even more depth. Every story was greatly edited, I only noticed two misspellings in the whole book.

I would strongly recommend readers of this book to have a strong stomach, and not mind stories and details about things like sexual work or death. This book is definitely not for younger readers. Not for the faint of heart. You should love details, and love feeling like you are in the action with the characters. Some stories hit close to home, so be prepared. Also be aware there are sexual themes, and descriptions of sex acts in some stories. There is a great deal of cussing in most stories too.

I can not wait to read more collections or novels from William Coles. I absolutely love all the details he adds to everything he writes. He writes with emotion and heart. I would love to see more of these stories made into graphic novels. I loved the art.

Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

All of the stories were kind of sad and dark, but the meaning was priceless. Thanks for the opinion about this book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”