Review by KCWolf -- Murdered by James Schannep

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KCWolf
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Freddie Mercury
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Review by KCWolf -- Murdered by James Schannep

Post by KCWolf »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murdered" by James Schannep.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I really enjoyed reading Murdered by James Schannep. The editing is impeccable. I didn’t see any errors plus all of the interactive links worked properly. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

In this “choose your poison” crime thriller you the reader are the main character. While on vacation in Rio during Carnival, you get swept up in the excitement and revelry. You become separated from your friends and find yourself wandering down an alley, to find a dead body lying behind an open door. From this point on what happens in the story is based on your own decisions, as at the end of each chapter you are given options to choose from. As you navigate through different scenarios as you team up with Agents Danly and Bertram (my favorite characters) to solve the case.

What I liked most was the Easter egg scenario, and that there are so many options you can choose and paths you can take within the same book. I liked how you can go back to a previous chapter, and make a different decision and see how the storyline is affected by that change. I loved being able to go back to the beginning, and read it all over and make different choices each time and experience different storylines within the book. I’ve found that my own psychology guided me to pick the answers I picked initially, so when I re-read it I had to step outside of myself to read the other storylines. I found this to be quite therapeutic.

I also like that the story remains fast-paced and exciting. There were not any scenes that dragged or seemed boring.

What I liked least was that at times it seems like James Schannep assumes that the reader is a straight male. There seemed to be an assumption that “you” (the protagonist) are male and predominantly attracted to females. I would have liked to see this aspect more generalized and open-minded, not that it matters much since this isn’t a romance.

There is a moderate amount of profanity, which begins as early as page 11. Therefore, I don’t recommend this book to young readers.
I do recommend Murdered for adult readers who enjoy mysteries and fast paced crime novels, especially if they are looking for something different and interactive. Also, gamers and other people who enjoy interactive media might enjoy Murdered. It is reminiscent of RP books and old school text-based games (for example, Zorn). It is also nostalgic for those of us who read “Choose Your Own Adventure” books growing up.

Murdered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Redemption Trails.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”