Review by Crcraig -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Crcraig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crcraig.html
Latest Review: “I Am a Soldier, First and Always”: The Distinguished Career of Winfield Scott Hancock by James Harold Kelly

Review by Crcraig -- The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Crcraig »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles is a book full of intrigues that will keep you reading to the very end. The book does an excellent job of intertwining the lives of three characters, Luke Osbourne, Lucy MacMiel, and Lucy’s younger sister, Elizabeth.

Luke is an eye doctor working for A.J. MacMiel, Lucy and Elizabeth’s father. After accepting a ride home from a party with an intoxicated Lucy, they are involved in an accident that kills a prominent woman. Luke and Lucy become involved and eventually marry.

Lucy is a well-known lawyer. She takes on a case of child molestation representing Hower Bain, a TV evangelist. She becomes sexually involved with Hower which eventually affects her marriage and career and sets the stage for many of the intrigues in the rest of the book.

When Lucy decides to follow Hower to Africa, Elizabeth cares for Luke and Lucy’s young daughter, Jennifer. When Luke is called to testify against A.J. in a malpractice suit, and Jennifer is diagnosed with leukemia, Luke and Elizabeth join together to care for Jennifer and A.J.’s wife, Agnes.

Lucy returns from Africa to try to mend strained family relationships. But Hower returns also. Lucy goes to work for his church until Hower runs into legal problems with the church’s finances.

Written in chapters dedicated to each character and what the character is thinking at the time, it is easy to follow each character’s involvement in the story. The only difficulty is the use of unusual words such as hedonist, vapid, vociferous, duplicitous, libelous, and more, which I had to look up to find the meanings. There are a few grammatical errors but nothing that would prohibit easy understanding.

The few instances of profanity are always used in conversation to express the character’s extreme emotions. It is mostly used with one character, Maria Sanchez, who employed Lucy. I think the language could have been omitted without damaging the scenes.

The sexual scenes are tasteful with little sexual detail. Therefore, the book will not offend most readers. The treatment of Hower’s evangelical church might cause some readers to resent the author but the author states in the beginning that the book is pure fiction and any resemblance is coincidental.

I give The Spirit of Want a 4 out of 4 rating. The story line is not like most fiction, boy meets girl, boy and girl break, boy and girl get back together. I could not anticipate each character’s next steps, and when I tried, I was usually wrong. It made me want to keep reading. Anyone who likes a good romantic novel with a little mystery thrown in will enjoy this book.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”