Review by shravsi -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Namesake
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Review by shravsi -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by shravsi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants is an adventurous fantasy book written by Caleb J. Boyer for young adults. This is a story of two young boys bravely conquering various obstacles in a mysterious island to return to their homes.

Matthew and Ryan are best friends from their kindergarten days. One fine morning they both wake up on the shore of a mysterious island by themselves. They do not have any communication or provisions for their help. They do not recollect how they ended up on an island. They have to find a way to survive in that mysterious jungle and figure out how to reach their parents safely. They have to improvise a way to get food, water, and shelter, all the while fighting unknown beasts and solving various puzzles set for them by a mysterious power. More than anything they have to stay together if their friendship cracks under pressure nobody could save them from reaching their deaths. Read the book to know how the boys learned various lessons of life about living minimally, finding happiness in what they have, gratitude and the strength of their friendship.

Before I say anything regarding the merits of the book, I feel the need to tell about the author, Caleb. He was just 12 years old when he wrote this book, which is also his first book. I was amazed at his writing capability at such a young age when most of us were started reading proper books. So, kudos to him for this wonderful book and I hope he continues to hone his writing as he does have a successful future as a successful author.

The book is full of surprises. The picturizations of surroundings, which are most important for a fantasy book, in my opinion, is on spot. Caleb has given an apt amount of description which fuels the mind to imagine the story. Both the story and characters have equal importance. Matthew is a steady driving force in the duo, and Ryan brings out a liveliness in them. Ryan’s quirky comments were witty. They both bickered sometimes but they apologized if they were wrong. Their sensitiveness to each other’s feelings is an important lesson reader can learn from this story. Young adults can teach themselves various life lessons from this book. There are no negative points about this wonderful book.

I will gladly rate the book four out of four stars. The book seems to be professionally edited as I didn’t notice any mistakes. There is no profanity or erotic content as this book is for young adults which I am grateful for as parents don’t have anything to worry about even if their ten-year-old read this book. Adults can enjoy too as I did. The book unleashes the imaginations of young minds and encourages them to learn good values.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”