Review by Cortneybrooke -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cortneybrooke
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cortneybrooke.html
Latest Review: The Scent of Distant Worlds by W. D. County

Review by Cortneybrooke -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Cortneybrooke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Burn Zones: Playing life’s bad hands by Jorge P. Newbery was an intriguing read! This autobiography follows Jorge’s life as he learns, and navigates, new business ventures from a young boy on a paper route to a multi-millionaire. I rate this book 4 out of 4.

Usually, I have a hard time reading autobiography’s but I couldn’t put this one down! Seeing how every small detail of Jorge’s life and past ties in to push him to something completely new in his future was intriguing. Jorge’s head for business and drive to accomplish is very inspiring.

Along with diving into how to navigate the business world, Jorge pulls you into each time period by exploring things he, and the country, were facing at the time. For example, during his time in the music industry Jorge elaborates on the struggles of racism and police brutality that were effecting him and examples from the news around the country that reflected the same nation wide.

I really enjoyed the personal photos included that depicted each significant moment throughout the book. Being able to see him grow up, his places of work, and his family grow old as the story progressed further pulled me into the story. For that same reason I also loved the quotes from his friends and co-workers that were taken from interviews done by local papers and news publications. Their point is of view made the story much fuller and richer.

Along with Jorge’s professional story, he also wrote about his family and personal struggles that helped round out who he is as a whole. His parents were so well written that with every high and low I really felt like I knew who they were by the end of the novel. My only criticism about this book is that I wish Jorge had filled in more of his wife’s character. Other than the fact that they are an interracial couple, and that was a struggle at the time, her character is in the background and not elaborated on. I strongly recommend reading this book.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”