Review by Bhaskins -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Bhaskins -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Bhaskins »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe by Zarqnon the Embarrassed is a story about how Theodil rolls a die and from there creates a universe. The book goes on to explain how dots become Zots and then Zots become Xoodles. Xoodles are what the universe is made of. He went on to explain that Xoodles can be manipulated into different shapes to be what we need but asked the question if it would be easier if Xoodles were just ready-made and didn’t have to be Zots first.

What I liked most about this book is that it felt a bit like reading Dr. Seus for adults. The rhymes and rhythm of the words were incredibly poetic and song-like. I also very much enjoyed the illustrations in this book. While the author deserves much credit for this interesting theory, the author and his drawing truly add to the book. This book really challenged my thinking about our world and how things are so complex, yet simple at the same time. We start with tiny parts and they build to make everything. I also found it very interesting as the author explored time as a made-up construct and what we might do if we were not bound by days or minutes.

What I disliked most was how complicated the book seems. I understand that it is a story about the creation of a made-up universe, but there were parts that I would have to read and read again. I still do not think I understand, but I am okay with that. I do wish there was a bit more context or background that was easier to understand for people who don’t spend a ton of time thinking about the creation of our world.

I think this book is good for anyone who has an active imagination and can think about different realms. This book would also be good for those who are able to process complex thoughts and enjoy a good brain workout. There was no instance of sexual content or profane language.

Overall I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The words, drawings, and pace of the book made it a great read. I didn’t like how much of it I had to read more than once to try to understand. I will say that the author fully discloses that he is on the Autism Spectrum and that it is more than likely his brain processes in a way that is far beyond my capabilities. The book appears to be well-edited and anything that might be mistaken for a typo or misplaced character I believe is done with intention as a style preference.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”