Review by spirituallove -- The MISOGI Method

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
spirituallove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirituallove.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Review by spirituallove -- The MISOGI Method

Post by spirituallove »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MISOGI Method" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The MISOGI Method] is a self-help guide by happiness expert Jodi B. Miller. The book outlines a way to achieve lasting happiness and success. Misogi is essentially a rite of purification which involves placing oneself under the cascade of a very cold waterfall. It is believed that this action literally washes away the impurities of the participant. Given that the origin of the Misogi ritual dates back to the eighth-century Japanese ShintĹŤ religion, The MISOGI Method is a modern-day interpretation of the traditional practice.

The MISOGI Method consists of fourteen chapters spread across five parts. There is a separate conclusion which includes misogi interviews and additional resources. The author also includes a transcript of her TEDx talk. After an overview of the differences between traditions and rituals and a brief history of the misogi ritual, Miller attempts to replicate the practice by suggesting some modern-day examples like the ice bucket challenge or a really cold shower. I am afraid to say that the only thing I like about this book is the way in which the author likens a misogi challenge to a three-act structure with a beginning, middle and end.

While the author’s consistent colloquial style highlights her efforts to create a genuine connection with her readers, this technique soon backfires as the text progresses. Miller seems to strive to self-promote her other best-selling book at almost every opportunity in the text. I dislike the author’s tone of smug self-satisfaction which appears to overshadow any feelings of humility which should ensue after a misogi. Further to this, Miller’s suggestion of trying cryotherapy as a misogi reveals that her book is aimed primarily at a privileged demographic. Readers who already have a good idea of the kind of goal they wish to achieve may find the questions at the end of each chapter helpful for reflection, reinforcement and motivation.

I rate The MISOGI Method only 2 out of 4 stars. The numerous grammatical errors in this book indicate sloppy and unprofessional editing. While many may feel inspired and empowered by the overall positive message in this book, I think there may be alternatives to the process of finding lasting happiness that do not necessarily involve moving outside of one’s comfort zone.

I would recommend The MISOGI Method to those who are in need of a little motivation to push themselves outside of their comfort zone in order to achieve a form of happiness. I hesitate to recommend this book to anyone who loathes self-help guides.

The MISOGI Method
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”