Review by sheeba_b -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sheeba_b
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheeba-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by sheeba_b -- The Spirit of Want

Post by sheeba_b »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mistakes are common. Some by choice and some out of ignorance, both of which could lead us to the tipping point. The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles is an intriguing novel that is based on the life of Lucy MacMiel and Luke Osborne, whose decisions play a major role in the lives of everyone around them.

The plot mainly revolves around the life of Lucy, a lawyer who is the adopted child of A.J. and Agnes and her step sister Elizabeth, with whom she always had differences. Lucy meets Luke, an eye surgeon at a party organised by her father. They develop a strange association which later leads to marriage and a child, Jennifer. Lucy is hired for a high profile case of a evangelist accused of rape. She gets tirelessly involved in the case and has no time for her daughter, which forced to grow under the care of others. She makes a life changing choice when she sleeps with her client, Howie who was accused of rape and leaves for Africa to be with him. On discovering the truth about him, she returns home only to find that her family situations is as bad.

William H. Coles brings out the truth about family, emotions, social problems, religion and racism quite effectively.The various characters are used to represent the truth about the society that we live in. Both A.J. and Lucy are accused of malpractice when A.J operates on the wrong eye of the patient while Lucy sleeps with her client. The truth about how certain evangelists bring disgrace to Church by using people's money for their own use is vividly portrayed. Elizabeth though not attractive outwardly is an expression of selflessness while Luke is potrayed as a committed husband and a father.

The blend of all these Characters brings out the beauty of the story. The book is indeed a easy read without much grammatical errors. I liked how the book was filled with suspense and eagerness of what would come next as you read through it's pages. It is difficult to tell what I disliked about the book as it was exceptionally flawless. The characters are depicted in an extraordinary manner and the storyline is intriguing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would definitely recommend this book as it is most suitable for young and older adults who will enjoy a mix of drama and suspense. The book is well edited and I enjoyed reading it.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”