Review by Falconcrest -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Falconcrest -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's...

Post by Falconcrest »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End is the second installment in the We are Voulhire series. In the first thread of this story, we begin with one of the more prominent characters Meldorath, a rogue necromancer that was caught dealing with some forbidden magic. He was instantly sentenced to a life of captivity by the king, on a lone island. But has recently, barely escaped, and has now taken up temporary residence in a city called Yamon Soul. Unknown powers have also awakened within him, and he has begun communicating with the all-powerful King of the lullabies. The mystical ruler of the war-torn fictional Land of the princes.

Then in the second thread, somewhere in Voulhire, a student by the name of Sophie Shore desperately Pleas with King Wilheim and his cabinet. To gravely look into the plight of the numerous people suffering in the Land of the Princes. She humbly beseech the King and his cabinet, to swiftly unlock the waters of Voulhire to the millions of people. Who fervently wish to miraculously escape from the wicked King of the Lullabies, and these refugees also desperately beg for asylum in the city of Voulhire. In the first installment, they were characters that ended without a proper conclusion. Nonetheless, the author performed a marvelous job with their follow-ups in this recent edition. And one of these many characters actually returns as an elite assassin in this installment, absolutely brilliant.

Regrettably, the story can't be leafed through as a stand-alone, as it is slightly difficult to follow unless you refer to the previous edition. This is because the author doesn't provide the reader with adequate background information, on the whole story. I also disliked how the author kept naturally referring to memorable scenes from the previous book, but without providing immaculate details of what transpired in the first edition. These were the scarcely visible elements that I disliked about this story.

In the third and fourth threads of the narrative, four of the prominent characters from the first book continue where they left off. But this time around, the author throws in some unexpected twists and turns to the whole story, and undoubtedly accomplishes a splendid job. These threads are then woven into one seamless fabric, that will intrigue and accurately capture the attention of all the fans of the sci-fi/fantasy genre. They were equally some unusually fascinating facts the author included in the book about shire horses. I was beaming with considerable excitement to learn a shire horse was one of the biggest breeds in the world. And only a staggering one thousand five hundred (1500) remain in existence to date. The author Matthew Tysz is so effective with his writing skills and on several occasions. I actually found myself lost in his narrative as his storytelling consumed me. They are additionally some marvelous in-depth facts about war, and it's extremely destructive and traumatic effects on its survivors.

The author's authentic views roused me, and his creative analysis on the ever daunting plight of orphans was absolutely remarkable. We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz has been awarded a 3 out of 4 stars . This story will appeal to all fans of the sci-fi/fantasy genre and contains no religiously offensive themes in its context. In addition, it only contains a handful of profanity and is ideally suitable for a mature audience. This story also has no erotic content or themes, that are sexual in nature.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I am notoriously bad about reading a book in a series without having read any of the prior books. I don’t think I’ll be doing that with this one! Thanks for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Falconcrest

Post by Falconcrest »

MsH2k wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 02:26 I am notoriously bad about reading a book in a series without having read any of the prior books. I don’t think I’ll be doing that with this one! Thanks for your review.
I understand you completely, Thanks for stopping by.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I loved the We are Voulhire series, but I agree that it would be better if the author provided us with more info from the previous books of the series. Also, loved all the twists and turns in the first book :) Thank you very much for the review!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This sounds a bit too complex for me, though it also seems like the author has a good handle on the plot threads. Thanks for the review!
Falconcrest

Post by Falconcrest »

Ellylion wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 10:58 I loved the We are Voulhire series, but I agree that it would be better if the author provided us with more info from the previous books of the series. Also, loved all the twists and turns in the first book :) Thank you very much for the review!
Yes, that was a little bit frustrating but the author still managed to deliver a great story. I am glad you also enjoyed it. Thank so much for your Awesome comments.
Falconcrest

Post by Falconcrest »

inaramid wrote: 24 Jan 2020, 06:10 This sounds a bit too complex for me, though it also seems like the author has a good handle on the plot threads. Thanks for the review!
It starts of a little bumpy, but is not that difficult a story to follow. And yes the author did a fabulous job with the books threads. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”