Review by Melissa Breen -- Creating Literary Stories: A ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Melissa Breen -- Creating Literary Stories: A ...

Post by Melissa Breen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a budding literary fiction writer? Are you trying to hone your writing craft? Or are you just looking to brush up on your writing skills? Then Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles is the book for you. William H. Coles is an award-winning author and with this writer’s guide, he lays everything he knows about writing literary stories onto the table. From character creation, to plot, this book is set out in easy to read sections and chapters. Cole’s teaching even goes outside the realms of this book as he has created a website called storyinliteraryfiction.com that is full of educational material on writing literary stories.

What I liked most about this book was how simple the wording was and how quick it was to read. It didn’t get bogged down with complicated advice, everything was straight forward and easy to comprehend. It was a quick read and a nice introduction for new authors, or else a quick way to refresh your knowledge after a break from writing.

What I liked least about this book was that it was very short. I would have liked a bit more information in a few of the sections. I also felt that the examples for some of the tips didn’t represent what the author was trying to say. Those could be improved upon.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I felt it deserved 3 stars rather than 2 because of how accessible it was. It was a great starter book but not suitable for anyone who is already in the writing game. I could not give this book a 4 out of 4 stars for that reason and also because it was not very well edited, there were a few spelling mistakes here and there. These mistakes lessen the trustworthiness of the author as someone to learn about writing from.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about starting to write literary fiction. But even if literary fiction isn’t the type of fiction you write, I think that there are still a few tips and hints that would be helpful for your writing. I would recommend this book to anyone of any age. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone who has no interest in writing as there would be nothing to gain from this book.

Take the first step on your educational writing journey and pick up a copy today.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”