Review by nfdoughe -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Penin...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Review by nfdoughe -- Cat Detectives in the Korean Penin...

Post by nfdoughe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R. F. Kristi is the eighth book in the Inca Cat Detective Series. Inca, her cat siblings Fromage and Cara, and their hamster friend Charlotte find themselves on a trip to South Korea with their human mother, Missy. Missy has just been invited to judge a French patisserie competition in South Korea. While there, she will also have the opportunity to display her new cheese, “La Crème de la Crème”. Joined by Solo, a professional detective and friend of Missy’s, and his dog Terrance, the group is ready for an adventure.

Trouble finds them in the form of Missy’s rival, Enzo, whose reputation took a hit when Missy’s cheese shops and restaurants outdid his. Enzo isn’t below stealing or sabotage, and Inca & Company have to stay alert to stop his nasty plans. On top of that, Inca soon learns that their tour guide, Ye-Jun, has a sister in need of rescuing. When Solo makes a dangerous plan to help, it’s up to Inca to save the day!

This is the second book I have read of the Inca Cat Detective Series, and I find them to be charming. It’s a series I think kids can invest in and enjoy. What I like most about this book is how pleasantly paced it is. Every moment has a purpose, whether to give the reader a closer look at a character or to usher in the next movement of the plot. It’s a leisurely book. There is no pressure to get to the action because it’s interwoven and every bit is fun to read.

The only negative thing I would say is that there are a number of silly errors. One of the character’s names is spelled incorrectly a few times. Another character is called a boy instead of a girl on occasion. It’s easy to correct once it’s been spotted, so nothing to throw out the whole book for.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The errors are the only reason I don’t give it 4 stars. It is an easy fix, but since they are so clear and so many, I would expect them to be caught sooner. Otherwise, it is a cute children’s book that I would recommend to young detectives and animal lovers.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”