Review by Dragonsend -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Review by Dragonsend -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

Post by Dragonsend »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga Book 1) flies off the page beginning in the first chapter. Janet Mcnulty introduces us to Rynah in a fiery battle where she is betrayed by her fiance, Klanor. While trying to save a very important crystal that seems to hold the planet together, she is left behind. To escape the destruction of the planet, she takes her deceased grandfather's space ship, Solaris. The ship is a "computer with personality" that her grandfather designed and implemented on this ship. Rynaah and Solaris get into a heated discussion almost from the beginning. .While Rynah wanted to track down her lying so-called fiance Klanor, Solaris insists they track down the mysterious crystals. These crystals are wrapped in myths and prophecies. The first task of tracking down these crystals is to find the four heroes from one of the myths. With this task accomplished she and the four may be able to restore Rhyna's planet. Meanwhile, I don't think we have seen the last of Klanor, the betrayer...

This novel is full of situations that give the author the opportunity to write about personal growth. "Just like I must learn to be on time for my studies, you must learn to face whatever it is you are hiding, even if you do not realize that you are running from it." This novel is truly a mixed bag. While reading, I would find myself thinking that some of the writing was underdeveloped like a seedling and suddenly the plant would reach full maturity and produce a beautiful flower. Sometimes this would happen in a fumbling kind of way. It is one of the things that could make you either dislike or really enjoy the novel. The protagonists grow with the novel experiencing situations and personal dilemmas that expand their characters.

I found one short paragraph in the book that I could not understand why it had been included. "Five days she had hidden in the gas cloud and still did not know what she should do. Having only just escaped the destruction of her planet, Rynah jumped on the nearest ship—luckily it had been her grandfather’s—and flew away at hyper-speed into the darkest reaches of space where Klanor’s minions couldn’t find her." This paragraph was a short description of exactly what we had just read about. It really seemed out of place.

This novel is number one out of a series of novels. Personally, I will invest the time to read the rest of the novels. There is enough solid writing that I definitely want to see the rest of the adventure through. That brings me to the next thing that I disliked. I felt like this was an unfinished novel. I don't want to give away too much but there was no solution to the main plot. Though there is somewhat of a climax, the novel felt incomplete instead of part of a series.

The novel is well-edited, and I found no errors except for the paragraph I mentioned above. I still award this novel three out of four stars for some very zen writing. I recommend this novel for everyone who enjoys adventure, and who enjoys characters with heart. One more unique thing is that there is a coloring book set that you can purchase with the whole series. This adds involvement with the reader. They can help the characters come to life with color.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think I felt very similarly about Solaris Seethes. There was some good stuff in there, and some stuff that still needed to be better developed. Rynah was my least favorite of the main characters. I also have a hard time trying to decide if I want to read more in the series. I cared enough about the characters to want to know what happens, and yet, there were some things that bothered me enough in the writing that I am uncertain how much I would enjoy continuing to read it. But it was still a pretty good, old-fashioned, (incomplete) space opera.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I love stories that have themes like this, thanks to your insightful execution. I am interested in this story and will be giving it a go. And thanks for an outstanding review.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

This seems like a decent sci-fi book. Really great, informative review!
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

esp1975 wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 16:30 I think I felt very similarly about Solaris Seethes. There was some good stuff in there, and some stuff that still needed to be better developed. Rynah was my least favorite of the main characters. I also have a hard time trying to decide if I want to read more in the series. I cared enough about the characters to want to know what happens, and yet, there were some things that bothered me enough in the writing that I am uncertain how much I would enjoy continuing to read it. But it was still a pretty good, old-fashioned, (incomplete) space opera.
Thank you! I want to find out what happens next! If the next installment does not fill out the characters a little more then I will probably quit!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

Falconcrest wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 07:28 I love stories that have themes like this, thanks to your insightful execution. I am interested in this story and will be giving it a go. And thanks for an outstanding review.
Thañk you and enjoy!
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

Reynaa wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 09:24 This seems like a decent sci-fi book. Really great, informative review!
Thank you! I.hope you try it out!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”